Why Keg Wine
- Cost savings from the winery, to retailer to consumer – a result of eliminating the cork and carton costs.
- Eliminates the cost of opened bottles that lead to waste.
- Transport costs are significantly reduced. The same amount of wine, but the eliminates the weight of bottles and packaging.
- Use 304/316 grade stainless steel.
- Use FDA approved plastic components.
Keg Storage Temperature
- Whites – store in walk-in cooler.
- Reds – store at room temperature (max. 70˚ F).
- Store untapped kegs with bottled wines.
- Wine stays fresh – tapped 3 months, untapped 12 months.
- 40 – 45˚ F for whites
- 55 – 60˚ F for reds
How to Adjust Wine Flow
On the gas regulator locate the pressure adjustment screw on the bonnet. Use a flat head screwdriver, twist the screw to the right to increase flow; twist left to decrease flow.
Notice the change in pressure on the upper gauge.
Gas propels the wine out of the keg, it also eliminates oxidation and prevents spoilage. Using gas is key to creating the perfect pour. Here is how to dispense gas options for red and white wines:
- Blended gas combination 75% N2 / 25% CO2. Sometimes referred to as “Guinness gas” as it is used to dispense a keg of Guinness. There is a small percentage of CO2 in wine.
- 100% nitrogen
- 100% argon
Recommended Pressure Setting
- 4-7 psi for direct draw (short runs)
- Use a 0-15 psi gauge to ensure accurate setting.
How to Replace Gas Cylinder for Wine on Tap System?
If the tank volume gauge reads less than 300 psi it will need to be changed. Here's how:
- Turn off the gas by closing valve at the top of the tank.
- Using a large wrench, unscrew the brass nut connecting the regulator to the tank.
- Pull old tank out and replace with a new one.
- Tighten the regulator to the gas cylinder, use a large wrench to securely tighten, open the tank valve. The applied keg pressure will register on the 0-15 pound gauge.
System Hygiene: Line Cleaning
- Each cleaning includes a caustic wash and a citric acid wash.
- Clean lines every 3 months, or at change of product.