Building Kegerator and need advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Kegerator and need advice please

I just bought a 21cu ft kenwood energy star refrigerator for the purpose of kegerating. I feel comfortable in this process. Is there anything I should be aware of? I am worried the refrigerator wont keep my beer cold enough, is this a problem? I would imagine a brand new fridge would keep it cold...no? I am very intrigued by the freezer kegerator. I was unable to find any write ups on this....is there any difference in the install, and does it take different or more parts to convert it? I can cancel the order on the fridge if the freezer is that much better of an option. Please help me decide what is best. I don't want to waste my money, I don't mind spending money to do this...I just want it to be right.

I guess I should give more info...I am doing a single tap on the front of an upright. I would do the same on an upright freezer if that is the best solution. I just don't know if I am making a mistake by getting a refrigerator. Would a small store bought kegerator ie: sanyo or summit be more effective/efficient than a large fridge?
    Last edited by kegcup; 11-04-2009, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I pulled this off of the website but here is the link to the conversion kits as well as instructions. Also browse over the temperature controllers as you will need one of these if you decide to do the freezer route. Good Luck!

Comment

How much are you willing to spend? You can get it right the first time, with a Kenmore Kegorator from Sears.
        SEAN
        I cool my tower with Beer.
        http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

Does the Kenmore have the tower cooler and circulation fans already built in?

Comment

It does not, but that's an $8.00 modification.
            SEAN
            I cool my tower with Beer.
            http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

Originally posted by kegcup View Post
              I just bought a 21cu ft kenwood energy star refrigerator for the purpose of kegerating. I feel comfortable in this process. Is there anything I should be aware of? I am worried the refrigerator wont keep my beer cold enough, is this a problem? I would imagine a brand new fridge would keep it cold...no? I am very intrigued by the freezer kegerator. I was unable to find any write ups on this....is there any difference in the install, and does it take different or more parts to convert it? I can cancel the order on the fridge if the freezer is that much better of an option. Please help me decide what is best. I don't want to waste my money, I don't mind spending money to do this...I just want it to be right.
              Not to worry, using a plain old refrigerator/freezer works fine. I used an old Kenmore for my conversion (see the link in my signature for my build).

A refrigerator/freezer gets it's cooling from the freezer section. It siphons off some of the air from the freezer to cool the refrigerator section. Most units have some type of controls that allow for more cooling air to get to the fridge.

If you wish to use an upright freezer then all that needs to be done is put a shank through the door & override the temp control with an external control like one of these... http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...s-cid-785.html

If you opt for a chest freezer you will need in addition to the external control, a tower & a fan setup to cool the tower.

IMHO, you should just stick with the refrigerator/freezer & install a dual shank so you can have a 1/2 barrel & a 1/6 barrel as well, providing there is space enough in your unit, there was with mine. Here is a link for a dual shank... http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...ts-cid-60.html

THE ICEMAN
              My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
              "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
              -Dave Barry-
              "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
              Strong beer is the milk of the old."
              -Martin Luther-

Comment

You'll be fine with what you have.

My only questions is....did you really go out and purchase a brand new fridge? Can you take it back? You can find used fridges for pretty cheap. Check Craigslist. Also Menards lumber (if you have one near you) sales used fridges (out in the lumber yard) for $9.00.

Can you give us the inside dimensions...including the space lost to the compressor? As someone stated earlier, you might be able to fit up to a sixth and a pony at the same time, or just a standard 1/2. (Mine "medium" sized fridge won't fit a 1/2 unless I get a low profile coupler.)
                On tap:
                1/2 bbl of Lienenkugel's Original

Gone, but not forgotten: (Sadly, Walter Payton's is gone)
                Sixtel of Sam Adams OctoberFest
                Sixtel of Walter Payton's Peat Smoked Scotch Ale
                Corny of Payton's Dancing Bear Honey Wheat
                Corny of Walter Payton's Aurora Amber Ale (both a malty and extra hoppy version)
                Corny (3 gal) of Coconut Rum and Cola
                Corny of Walter Payton's Beauregard's Blueberry Ale
                Corny of Walter Payton's Sweetness Stout on Nitro
                Corny of Rock Bottom's Belgian White Ale

Comment

Yeah....I did get a new fridge, but it was interest free and 21% off...making it like $500. I want something I don't have to worry about breaking down and also is nice to look @. I ordered the black one w/ 21cu ft. Not sure on dimensions yet, what height will I need to clear? It seems to have tons of room. I have been really concerned that I should be buying a freezer. I want my beer cold and don't want to have to worry about it. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Comment

Those are the keg sizes. To hold a 1/2, you will need 17 inches in width (which is not a problem in your fridge), 17 inches in depth (which is not a problem in your fridge....but...), and roughly 28 to 29 inches in height. The height could be an issue because of the room lost at the bottom of the fridge do to the compressor (that is the problem with mine).

However, you can always opt for lower profile couplers to save a few inches. I don't go through enough beer quick enouth to need a 1/2, but, 1/2's are a lot more economical than sixtels.

Luckily, I have a local brewery that offers sixtels for only $40.00 tax included.
                    On tap:
                    1/2 bbl of Lienenkugel's Original

Gone, but not forgotten: (Sadly, Walter Payton's is gone)
                    Sixtel of Sam Adams OctoberFest
                    Sixtel of Walter Payton's Peat Smoked Scotch Ale
                    Corny of Payton's Dancing Bear Honey Wheat
                    Corny of Walter Payton's Aurora Amber Ale (both a malty and extra hoppy version)
                    Corny (3 gal) of Coconut Rum and Cola
                    Corny of Walter Payton's Beauregard's Blueberry Ale
                    Corny of Walter Payton's Sweetness Stout on Nitro
                    Corny of Rock Bottom's Belgian White Ale

Comment

I measured it to be roughly 29" in height at the middle, it may be a little close. The center piece is 29" but several more inches on the side. Should I buy the smaller coupler? I think it's like $50, I bet I can make it fit.

Comment

29 inches sounds like plenty of height to me, even with the standard D coupler. But I can take a quick measurement when I get home this afternoon, if you want.

Comment

It's tighter than I thought, but it looks like a 1/2 bbl keg with the standard D coupler will fit in 29 inches with just enough clearance for the hose to bend without kinking.

Comment

i am taking out the veg tray and build a custom support that will give me more room. I bought a refurb fridge for cheaper and ordered my conversion kit. Should all be here tomorrow and cant wait. I am thinking of painting it black and putting diamond plate on the front, and maybe some on the inside.

Comment

Working...
                            X