Boy Scouts need empty Heineken cans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy Scouts need empty Heineken cans

This is going to sound strange but........

My son's Boy Scout troop wants to make lightweight cook stoves from 12oz Heineken cans. I'm not a beer drinker (no offense) and the few people that I know that drink are bottle guys, so I don’t know where to get them without buying a lot of beer that I can't drink. We would need approx 30 each 12 oz cans. It takes 3 cans to make one stove. I've pasted the link below, FYI.

If any of you guys are near Monroe, NC and drink Heineken from a can, please don't throw the cans away. Call me and I'll be glad to take them off your hands.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and have a Safe and Happy New Year,
    Randy Clontz.
    704-764-9363

Penny Stove Instructions & FAQs

Looks like a cool project. I can imagine the dads in my day making the sacrifice of drinking all that Heineken for us to make those stoves.

Can you leave your contact information at a trusted liquor store and ask them to put you in contact with someone who buys Heineken?
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

While this is a cool project.... I fail to see how this knowledge will help scouts (no offense). How often will a scout or group of scouts be stranded, in need of a cooking burner, and happen to have a couple cans of Heineken on them? It would probably be more practical to try to make a burner out of a standard beer or pop can, which one could probably find laying around easily if one didn't already have one on hand.

If you can't find someone to drink the beer for you, it makes an excellent reduction to simmer brats in.

Put the beer in a metal/foil roasting pan on a large grill so it starts to get hot/reduce while you're cooking brats. Cook the brats on the grill, put the brats in the beer, let it reduce down till it starts to get a little thick. All the alcohol will evaporate, and those brats will be MIGHTY tasty. I would normally choose a MUCH cheaper beer, but you have a need for the Heineken cans, and at least you wouldn't be pouring the beer out.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Cubby, the cook stoves are not for emergancy situations. They will be used every time we go camping which is 8-10 times a year. The scouts backpack everything-their individual tents, food, water, clothes, extra shoes/boots, sleeping bag and mat, ect. This is just the basics. Weight is the enemy and ounces are shaved where ever possible.

A few of the scouts have opted to buy expensive backpacking stoves. I, on the other hand, refuse to spend $50.00 to $100.00 bucks for a stove that is 50 times heavier than the project stoves, that is a pain to light in cold weather, and that uses expensive fuel that comes in a heavy steel pressurized can.

We've used soda can stoves for over 2 years and they are more dependable than the store bought stoves. We are just wanting to step up to the next level. I've got over a dozen soda can stoves that my son and I have made trying to come up the best combination of holes and hole sizes.

Unlike the Government, I watch my P's and Q's.

Comment

Gotcha.

Well then I would either take up drinking, find someone who drinks Heineken to save you cans, or use the beer to make some tasty brats.

Do your friends who are 'bottle guys' drink Heineken? If so, convince them that beer out of a can (ESPECIALLY Heineken) is better, and that Heineken is not supposed to taste like a skunk. It's that darned green bottle that makes it that way, and that's the truth.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
            Gotcha.

, find someone who drinks Heineken to save you cans
            That's what I'm trying to do. I really don't know anyone that drinks Heineken. Don't get me wrong, I'm not communist. I spent 21 years in the army and threw down more than my share of beer. I have all but quit now. I can't see spending $16.00 for a 12 pack when domestic beers are less than half the price though I may not have much choice.

Thanks for the replies. They've been enlightening.

Comment

Try posting an add on Craig's List, maybe.

Wanted: Empty Heineken keg shaped cans.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

done that.

Comment

What a great project! Heck send me your address on a private message. My buddies and I don't drink Heiny, but we can make the sacrifice for the Scouts.

I'm in Richmond, VA. How soon do you need the cans.

Now, who ever thought that drinking beer would ever become a community service!?

Dennis

Comment

Perhaps contact a distributer in the area and see if they will dump some out or dispose of some expired ones for the project. A retailer may do this too because I'd suppose technically they could write it off as a donation.
                    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

can you donate beer to Boy Scouts? Gotta be some kind of moral dillemma there
                      Last edited by cubby_swans; 12-31-2009, 10:57 AM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Being Catholic, I don't see a problem with it as long as the scouts didn't actually drink it. But the Methodist and Baptist would go ballistic, I'm sure. LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X