Cellaring Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cellaring Beer

I know this is a beer dispensing forum but I'm sure someone here can help. I'm thinking about cellaring some beers. My basement isn't a constant temp so I was thinking about a wine/beverage fridge or a mini fridge since my converted fridge is too cold. Anyone have any suggestions or tips? Another site has Avanti and Summit wine fridges and I'm nervous since their kegerators need "tweaking". Also does the auto defrost matter? Thanks.
    "No soldier can fight unless he is properly fed on beef and beer."
    -John Churchill, First Duke of Marlborough

Look for one you can stand the beer up in, though. You don't want to lay the beers on their sides, like wine bottles. At cellar temps (mid-50's) I don't think you would really have to worry about frosting.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
      Look for one you can stand the beer up in, though. You don't want to lay the beers on their sides, like wine bottles. At cellar temps (mid-50's) I don't think you would really have to worry about frosting.
      Thanks, do you do any cellaring? If so, how have the outcomes been?
      "No soldier can fight unless he is properly fed on beef and beer."
      -John Churchill, First Duke of Marlborough

Comment

So one quick distinction between wine and regular fridges. Normal refrigerators are made to draw out moisture so this will dry out liquid from beers if they are cork finished; this is because cork is porous. If the beer is destined to be aged for a period of time than it's best to stick to a wine fridge. Caps and kegs are a different story though which is why old refrigerators are made into kegerators far more often than beer cellars. And exactly as cubby swans said, you need something that will hold the beer upright. Even corked...wine was made to be aged on the cork...beer ain't wine and the beer constituents interact badly with the cork. Hope this helps and good luck!

Comment

Cellaring Beer

So any #s on what the voter turn out was and how much beer the company had to give away?

Comment

Which is the most preferable and famous brand in this era of beer?

Comment

Working...
            X