Spam control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam control

I belong to 2 other forums (not beer related). The one thing that I noticed is that neither one of them seem to have the spam problem that we do here. I don't know what they are doing different. I am not that computer literate, I get by, but maybe someone else who is a little more of the computer geek persuasion, can come up with a fix.

I'm on a few other forums as well. And the spam tends to be there as well. One of the forums is a very large forum, with hundreds of regular posters, and thousands of posts. Spam isn't usually seen by most on that board because of the large number of moderators.

I believe we tend to think we see a lot more of it here than we do because we are deleting it when we check the board in the morning. Initially on this board we weren't able to delete spam until we were made super moderators, as moderator's Karate wasn't that strong. It was really frustrating.

I really think it is a lot better than it was a year ago. But I agree that perhaps it could be better. I don't look up IPs of spammers I ban because as moderators we can't ban IP ranges. But on another board I used to admin, we found that most spammers were from places in Asia, such as China and Taiwan. Blocking those in groups helped a lot.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

I was thinking that maybe because we are the ones that delete them , I was more aware of them.The other 2 that I am on, I am there just as much or more than here. I just don't see them there. Maybe they do get as many.

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
        I don't look up IPs of spammers I ban because as moderators we can't ban IP ranges. But on another board I used to admin, we found that most spammers were from places in Asia, such as China and Taiwan. Blocking those in groups helped a lot.
        We might not be able to ban the IPs but I have noticed that many do come from Asia & Russia.

I have PMed Scott with this link... Get reCAPTCHA

I'm not enough of a computer geek to know if it is applicable to this site but is worth looking into. If it works here it might get rid of the spambots.

THE ICEMAN
        Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 02-07-2009, 11:38 PM.
        My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
        -Dave Barry-
        "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
        Strong beer is the milk of the old."
        -Martin Luther-

Comment

Ironic that this thread got spammed.
          Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
          but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

On the groups that I'm a moderator, we approve all members joining the group.
            This does indeed stop most of the problems seen here (example: link to ex boyfriend advice).
            One can usually tell if they are indeed interested in what is offered on the group.
            Good luck .... and I'll continue to fish for those pesky minnows and bottom feeders
            Last edited by Mark Borland; 07-21-2012, 07:37 PM. Reason: auto spam removal
            Steve

Comment

Scott has the power to ban IP ranges if you can find them. We were just talking about this the other day. Email him the IP and he'll do the rest.
              Ed
              Blue Line Draft Systems
              www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Working...
              X