Beer Lover with Beer Allergies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Lover with Beer Allergies

Ok, I LOVE BEER, right, as why I'm here and why I have a kegerator, and why I drink most weekends...

BUT

I have beer allergies, seems most beers, and liquor always stuff me up and mess up my breathing in some way or another, chest too, gets cloggy.

I'm guessing I'm allergic to the HOPS as I think most beers heavy in HOPS get me quicker than others...does anyone else have allergies to beer?

Are there some beers I could try with less HOPS or less what causes allergies to pop up? I think I do well with Rolling Rock because its less HOPS but more RICE? I think?

Anyway...looking for a discussion on this topic!
    "When the Okies left Oklahoma and went to California, the average intelligence of both states went up." -Will Rogers

Man, that sucks, I never heard of beer allergies before.

Comment

I guess you'll have to go intravenously.
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

The hops and the rice are unrelated. Rice is used as a substitute for barley in many American pilsners. Corn is another common substitute. I've never heard of a hop allergy but I guess anything is possible. The more common allergy with regard to beer is gluten. There are gluten free beers out there you might want to try. Red Bridge is a pretty widely distributed brand. See if cider works for you too, no gluten in there. By a 6 pack and see if it bothers you as much or better talk to a doctor and find out whats up. Cheers!
        Ed
        Blue Line Draft Systems
        www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Seriously doubt it's a hop allergy. There aren't any hops in liquor. If you were allergic to hops, I doubt any macro's would cause you a problem, either.

////Tangent//// Did you know if you homebrew, and your dog gets ahold of your hops, even hops that have already been boiled, your dog can die? It can trigger Malignant Hyperthermia. Basically their body tempertaure goes up, and most vets are not equipped to handle it. //// End Tangent/////

You could try a gluten free beer, as suggested, but honestly, if you had a gluten allergy, most foods with wheat in them would likely mess up your system on a regular basis. That's a LOT of food items. Do you have problems when you eat bread? Alcohol allergies are pretty rare, but possible. The more I think about it, the more I would suggest seriously having a doctor check you out to find out what it is that you are allergic to. Allergies are not something you want to test and experiment with. I mean, unless you're capable of surviving for extended periods without breathing.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Sorry, I just saw this. Many years ago a coworker said he was allergic to most beer. He said it was the grains used in beer brewing. The only kind of beer he could drink was a rice beer. I think he said he was OK with Budweiser. But if liquor is a problem too, then maybe it has to do with the alcohol. It seems to me I heard something once about people being allergic to alcohol. Have you ever tried a non-alcoholc (God forbid!) beer as an experiment?

Comment

Originally posted by bruce h View Post
              Sorry, I just saw this. Many years ago a coworker said he was allergic to most beer. He said it was the grains used in beer brewing. The only kind of beer he could drink was a rice beer. I think he said he was OK with Budweiser. But if liquor is a problem too, then maybe it has to do with the alcohol. It seems to me I heard something once about people being allergic to alcohol. Have you ever tried a non-alcoholc (God forbid!) beer as an experiment?
              I think it's even on the bottle that Bud is brewed with rice, but not bud light. It's been so long since I've looked at either bottle so no sure if it's still true. Then there's sake the japanese rice wine or liquor.

Comment

My brother, my brother! I, too, suffer from an allergic reaction to certain beers and wines. If I drink a Bud or Bud Light, I can get hives, fever, and congestion.

I believe it is the additives used in some macro beers that cause this problem. I've always blamed the "beechwood aging" for the Bud problem. Most micro/craft beers don't give me any problems. Keep Yuengling on tap, no problems.

Rolling Rock, for example, no problems, Michelob, no problems.

Love breads and pastas, so that leaves out the gluten factor.

I've talked to my doctors in the past and none have any ideas, except they wanted to do the scratch tests. Not that big a deal for me to do the tests.

The wines are another matter, sulfites get alot of people.

You are not alone!.

Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by DCullender View Post
                  If I drink a Bud or Bud Light, I can get hives, fever, and congestion.

I believe it is the additives used in some macro beers that cause this problem.
                  What about rice? That's what Bud and Bud Light are made out of.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

No, don't believe rice is my problem. Rolling Rock is a rice beer and has no ill affect

Comment

Got the allergy too...

I am allergic to most beers as well. Unfortunately lots of other allergies too. Go see an allergist to get tested - it only takes about 30 minutes.

I discovered that the source of my beer allergy was an allergy to rice. I now avoid beers with rice. I also discovered that many alcohols are made with rice as well. Mostly cheap brands and blends. Most blended scotch has rice. Cheap bar rums have rice. Many others.

Because I have an anaphylactic reaction to rice, I can tell right away if there is rice in a beer. I have no allergy to barley, wheat, rye, corn or gluten. This doesn't mean that you don't though.

Luckily I found that Guinness beers, including Guinness, Kilkenny, and Harp, do not have rice in them. Of course, they are made differently all over the world, but I quickly learned to love them.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Beer Allergies

I know exactly what your talking about and my recomendation is that the next time you go to the doctors, have them test you for ciliac disease. It's a major growing problem. My dad has it and I will soon enough which is why I probably feel the same as you! Try finding a glutin free beer such as there's a new on e from St Peter's called Sorghum. It is completely gluten free and actuall tastes great which most of those types of beers and food don't. You may be allergic to grains which is why some things may not be as bad but others will make you feel awful! Shout at me and I can help you find this beer!

Comment

Working...
                        X