Transfering to new keg..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfering to new keg..

I'm considering getting the MicroMatic kegerator to enjoy the great taste of beer on tap at home. My state has a $75 state keg deposit that is only good for 90 days. If you don't return the keg by then, you forfeit the deposit. Two reasons I'd like to transfer to a 2.5 or 1 gallon keg: 1, in case I don't finish the keg within the 90 day limit, and 2, I go fishing quite often and would like to have tap beer rather than bottled.

Is it possible to transfer from one keg to another? If so, what would be the best way to do this?
    Last edited by lnxusr; 06-17-2008, 07:34 PM.

Do you mean transfer the deposit over? Couldn't say for sure... but what state do you live in so I can make sure I never move there. That's a pretty ridiculous policy.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

No, I think he wants to rack the beer from one keg to another.

If you want to take some fishing (and are planning on drinking it soon), just fill up a growler (1/2 gallon glass jug) --- you can get them at brewpubs.

Sorry - I have no idea how you would rack from one keg to another without exposing the beer to outside air.

Comment

Originally posted by lnxusr View Post
        I'm considering getting the MicroMatic kegerator to enjoy the great taste of beer on tap at home. My state has a $75 state keg deposit that is only good for 90 days. If you don't return the keg by then, you forfeit the deposit. Two reasons I'd like to transfer to a 2.5 or 1 gallon keg: 1, in case I don't finish the keg within the 90 day limit, and 2, I go fishing quite often and would like to have tap beer rather than bottled.

Is it possible to transfer from one keg to another? If so, what would be the best way to do this?

The only way to transfer it to something else would be to pour it into a corny keg. Then you'd have to swap out your coupler for corny couplers. It's possible, but then you've poured the beer and exposed it to air, which means it's going to start to oxidize. If you can't finish the beer in 90 days, I see a few possible solutions. Keeping the beer isn't really one of them, because at 3 months, your beer is starting to go bad, anyways. They last 1 month in my house with me and the wife both drinking off of it.

1) drink more - two beers per day will have you finishing a keg in about 83 days. There are approximately 165 12oz servings in a keg.

2) Invite friend(s) over so you can enjoy your beer with them.

3) buy 1/4 barrels or 1/6 barrels, if possible.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by jackstraw View Post
          No, I think he wants to rack the beer from one keg to another.
          This is exactly what I need to do.

If you want to take some fishing (and are planning on drinking it soon), just fill up a growler (1/2 gallon glass jug) --- you can get them at brewpubs.
          This won't work well. Our fishing trips sometimes last for a week or so. I'd have to use multiple growlers and the beer would go bad before I had a chance to drink it all.

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
            The only way to transfer it to something else would be to pour it into a corny keg. Then you'd have to swap out your coupler for corny couplers. It's possible, but then you've poured the beer and exposed it to air, which means it's going to start to oxidize.
            That's my problem. I may end up having to stay with bottled beer for the fishing trips.

If you can't finish the beer in 90 days, I see a few possible solutions. Keeping the beer isn't really one of them, because at 3 months, your beer is starting to go bad, anyways. They last 1 month in my house with me and the wife both drinking off of it.
            The kegerator I mentioned above (which I ended up ordering) only holds 1/4 or 1/6 barrels. Thinking now, I see no problem in my finishing them within the 90 days. That still leaves the problem of how to get fresh beer while fishing. I guess I'll just have to rough it and forgo draft on the river.

Comment

I have filled cornies from 1/2 barrels many times. You need to connect the beer out from your sanke to the black cornie fitting. use the grey in fitting with a short piece of hose and a shut off on the end. Attach both cornie fiitings (shut off closed) to pressurized cornie (counter pressure) and tap the keg the beer is coming from. Crack the shut off on the grey cornie fitting and that will set your flow speed, too much speed is too much foam. when beer starts coming out the shut off, shut the valve and untap. You will need to prctice to get the right fill level, filling speed, etc but it gets easy.
              Jim
              Happy Tappy Draft Beer Services
              Serving Mid-Michigan and beyond

Comment

Revsisting an old thread here...
                Here is what I am considering. I have a two product kegerator and it will hold three cornies or three 1/6ths. It will also hold two slim quarters, which are limited in my area. It can only hold one standard quarter. I'd really love to be able to have one tap with a premium beer and PBR on the other side.
                If I bought 2 cornies and off loaded the PBR into them, I would be able to have my dream come true. Anybody have additional thoughts on this? Nobody came back to this thread to report on their success / failure of the above process.

BTW the OP must have lived in New York which did away with the $75 / 90 day deposit thing last November.
                Last edited by djc; 04-14-2011, 11:23 AM.
                What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

All you need is a jumper hose with a coupling nut on the keg coupler side and a cornie liquid out on the other. This will fill the cornie from the bottom (less foam).
                  Purge the cornies with CO2.
                  Disconnect keg coupler set CO2 psi to under 5#.
                  Connect the liquid out of the cornie keg to the liquid out of keg coupler.
                  Reconnect keg coupler to start transfer, release pressure from the receiving keg occasionally as the transfer progresses.
                  When complete, purge the full keg a couple of times to eliminate any remaining O2 inside and then repressurize to original psi.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Sounds pretty straight forward. It just occurred to me on the way to work this monring as a way to get variety (both in flavor and cost) without having to be limited to the small selection of slim quarters. I don't even have cornies to try this out with yet. Since this morning I've found that I can't get 1/4's of PBR from my local shop. Seems like I may have to shop around, or start racking halfs. We will have to see how the plan develops. Thanks again for the input.

Comment

YouTube - Transfering from Commercial keg to Cornelius keg
                      No CRAP! on tap

Comment

Very nice. Thank you. Is it your video?

Comment

Any thoughts on using a standard 1/6th keg instead of cornies? I've got those already and giving up the deposit is cheaper than buying into cornies.

Comment

Working...
                          X