Can you have a bad keg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you have a bad keg?

I have a Marvel Outdoor kegerator. I am on my 4th half barrel keg of bud light. Before this 4th keg I ran a 1/6th barrel of blue moon. I haven't had any problems with foam until now. I can not poor a beer with out 3/4 of it being straight foam. Liquid temp is 37F degrees and I had the pressure at 10 psi. I moved it up last night to around 12 psi.

I cleaned all my lines before this current keg. I have a dual tap tower. I purchased the unit from BeverageFactory. The rep at BF told me I shouldn't need a tower cooler. I did insulate the tower.

I don't think I lost any O-rings or fittings when I changed the keg. Would this cause this much foam though?

The beer in the lines appear to be bubble free.

Thanks in advance

First thoughts at trouble shooting this would be that if there are no bubbles in line there probably is something causing the foam in the beers travel. Because if it was a keg issue you would see the foam right from the keg.If this is only first pour foam issue then warm line is the problem.
    If not then:
    -Try using other coupler and beer line.
    -make sure line not kinked or pushed up against cold plate
    -make sure line cleaning didn't loosen some crud up and lodged in line/
    -was faucet disassembled and cleaned? Take apart and check for faucet obstruction.
    -and if there are bubbles in the line could be a bad regulator.

And a side note every keg of bud light is bad....
    Last edited by PointPleasantNJBeerguy; 05-09-2014, 11:55 AM.
    What I got:
    Beverage Air #BM23
    with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
    -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
    -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
    -MM S/S Keg Couplers
    YouTube video of the goods

Comment

I will switch the line to the other faucet this evening. I wanted to keep Budlight and switch to different brews on the other Shiners blue moon etc but bud light doesn't offer a 1/6 barrel. I have the tower mounted to the couter top there isn't much beer line exposed. The line that is exposed I wrapped with muffler tape type insulation. Maybe it got kinked.

Comment

oh and it doesn't matter if its the first or last beer its foam filled.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckfu View Post
          I will switch the line to the other faucet this evening. I wanted to keep Budlight and switch to different brews on the other Shiners blue moon etc but bud light doesn't offer a 1/6 barrel. I have the tower mounted to the couter top there isn't much beer line exposed. The line that is exposed I wrapped with muffler tape type insulation. Maybe it got kinked.
          Pull the tower cap too..Look down inside and see if messed up at faucet elbow shank too.
          What I got:
          Beverage Air #BM23
          -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

Did you disassemble and clean your faucet as well?
            What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

If I'm reading this right, you have removed your tower from the kegorator and moved it to a counter top with a short span of exposed although wrapped beer line. If so, your tower now has zero cooling. Your present problems may be from warmer outside temps than what your previous kegs were.

At any rate, I'd duct all the way from the kegorator to the base of the tower and add a forced air tower cooler.
              Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
              but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Chuckfu,
                I kinda was thinking the same as psychodad was thinking, can you post where exactly you have unit (outside, outside, outside in covered patio exposed to outside temperature, outside in garage, etc), what the ambient temperature was when the last keg that poured right.
                Could be as djc says, dirty gear, did you clean beer line for all kegs?
                For sure, just insulation won't work, if beer doesn't flow beer will slowly warm, beer line outside kegerator will lead to a whole slew of problems, if kegerator not sealed tight will also cause problems. Normally one could do without a tower cooler but in an extended counter-top installation it might be necessary. How far is your run from kegerator to faucet?
                KB

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
                  Chuckfu,
                  I kinda was thinking the same as psychodad was thinking, can you post where exactly you have unit (outside, outside, outside in covered patio exposed to outside temperature, outside in garage, etc), what the ambient temperature was when the last keg that poured right.
                  For sure, just insulation won't work, if beer doesn't flow beer will slowly warm, beer line outside kegerator will lead to a whole slew of problems, if kegerator not sealed tight will also cause problems. Normally one could do without a tower cooler but in an extended counter-top installation it might be necessary. How far is your run from kegerator to faucet?
                  KB
                  I did not clean the faucet but I will. After switching to the other tap it poured great. The unit is outside under the counter. It is in an island under my back porch. I will post pics when I get home

Comment

image.jpgimage.jpgh
                    Chuckfu,
                    KB
                    Here are the pics

Comment

Chuckfu,
                      So I assume the kegerator is exposed to outside temperature, then how has the temperature in your area changed since the keg that worked (20 degrees less, 60 to 80 degrees, etc), again I think it is change in temperature seems to be the problem, do as psychodad says should solve problem.
                      KB
                      Last edited by KillianBoy; 05-10-2014, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Chuckfu,
                        So I assume the kegerator is exposed to outside temperature, then how has to temperature in your area changed since the keg that worked (20 degrees less, 60 to 80 degrees, etc), again I think it is change in temperature seems to be the problem, do as psychodad says should solve problem.
                        KB
                        Kb he says he switched to his other faucet line and it worked fine.. So temp isn't his real problem here
                        What I got:
                        Beverage Air #BM23
                        -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

By my read of how the OP's system is set up:
                          beer line run through top of the unit (still unknown if run through tower hole with or without PVC up to tower or not but I assume not), beer line is insulated with muffler tape type insulation through tower to shank/faucet.
                          So the temperature I refer is ambient temperature and if huge it might be relevant. If last keg temps were in 40-50s, might pour fine, but when ambient went to 80's, un-cooled beer line, even with some insulation, exposed to ambient will cause massive foam, again seal unit from tower to keg should solve problem, if it is, then tower cooler might be needed.
                          KB

Comment

When you clean that faucet, check the little breather hole underneath to make sure it is clear, and completely disassemble it and brush the inside.
                            What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

By my read of how the OP's system is set up:
                              beer line run through top of the unit (still unknown if run through tower hole with or without PVC up to tower or not but I assume not), beer line is insulated with muffler tape type insulation through tower to shank/faucet.
                              So the temperature I refer is ambient temperature and if huge it might be relevant. If last keg temps were in 40-50s, might pour fine, but when ambient went to 80's, un-cooled beer line, even with some insulation, exposed to ambient will cause massive foam, again seal unit from tower to keg should solve problem, if it is, then tower cooler might be needed.
                              KB
                              I did not install a pipe do you think I should ? The distance from top of Kegerator to top of granite is About 2". I live in SE Texas we will see how it handles some 100 degree days
                              Anything else y'all would do to improve this setup

Comment

Working...
                              X