Release keg pressure when tapping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Release keg pressure when tapping?

Is it a good idea or bad idea to release the initial keg pressure when tapping it for use in the kegerator? I have two new 1/4 slims in a kegerator and I wanted to reduce the pressure in one of them, so I pulled the little release valve on the coupler. Even though the keg is on C02, it wouldn't pour right away after I released the pressure. That kind of worried me. After maybe 15-20 minutes, I was able to get a very slowly poured beer. I'm going to let it sit overnight and check it again, but in general, should new kegs be left alone?

Thanks!

scott_va,
    Sooo--- are you trying to balance to temperature and v/v or doing it the extreme newbie way?

You understand that you can't really lower a the pressure of a beer in keg ,you could if you shake like a can of pop, release gas, shake, release. After this beer will be flat, but can be re-carbonated by letting X PSI or force carbonate by applying X++PSI, with X being the PSI you want the beer to be.

The MM way is to find the v/v of beer balance PSI to temperature of the beer, this PSI to temperature relationship is pretty much set in stone, you set too low, foam, too high foam and fizzy beer.
    If you release pressure on keg (while applying say 12 PSI), the gas will leave keg as you release pressure, when not releasing gas, PSI of 12 will be re-applied to keg, unless you agitate beer, beer will be unaffected, you will be just wasting gas. Doing at start of keg or mid-keg same-same, waste of gas, so I guess bad idea, kegs should be left alone. What I do with the pressure release is to check of the CO2 is being applied. CO2 tank/regulator off, tap keg, turn CO2 on, adjust PSI, tug on pressure release, it should hiss, if hiss engage coupler, if no hiss something is wrong.

By what you are saying, with stock 5 foot beer line, your PSI is too low, if balanced, beer (unless your beer temperature is below 33 degrees) should be moving pretty fast out of faucet.

So if want to do it the MM way, can you post beer temperature, modifications made, beer (or v/v), length of beer line and exactly what your problem is, maybe someone can figure out your problem.
    KB

Comment

Thanks for the help. I am a newbie. I have a Summit SBC490BI with the MM dual premium regulator, 5 ft of beer line for each keg. I was installing one of two new kegs (Coors Light) and noticed the pressure seemed a bit high (upper teens). Thought I'd mess around with lowering it to the recommended 12-14 lbs. I turned the dial on the regulator the wrong way initially and added a pound or two instead of lowering it. That's when I decided to pull the release valve on the coupler.

I've only had the unit for a month or so and have run about 6 kegs through it. Really haven't had any issues and the fridge will get down into the 20's (found out the hard way!). I keep it around 36-37 degrees per recommendations here. Other than the initial kegs I installed in a rush due to a party, everything has poured well. Not because of anything I've done, obviously - it just seems to work.

The 1/6 kegs go too quickly so this time I picked up a 1/4 slim of Coors Light and a 1/4 slim of Yuengling. I had to fight with the Summit to get them both in - I had to cut a block of wood to put under the CO2 in order to raise the dual regulator arm to get the right hand keg to slide back all the way. I've had a mix of 1/4 slim and 1/6 kegs in there to date and didn't have any issues with room inside. Two 1/4 slims makes it cramped for the tower blower and the recirculating fan inside the Summit. Will have to take a reading this evening to see if the temp is affected. And a sampling, of course!

Cheers

Comment

co2 doesn't instantly soak into the beer. You have to have pressure (or lack of) applied for at least 24 hours for any noticeable changes. When I carbonate my home brew, I put it in a keg and set the kegerator to 11psi. If I don't do anything it will take 6-7 days for the beer to actually carbonate to that level.

In a nutshell, blowing off co2 from the keg before/after tapping isn't going to do much of anything either way. Given enough time, your keg will come to balance with whatever pressure you are applying from the regulator over the long haul. It sounds like you're blowing through kegs too quick for that to happen, though.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

scott_va,
          Yup, what cubby says, CO2 isn't instant it takes time, a little for a short isn't going to do any harm.
          OK, check out my newbie thread:

If you want to continue using 1/4 kegs and the tank is the problem, you may have to mount the tank on the outside. Kinda confused, pictures of some twins are the Haier re-brand, others a Sanyo/Summit, is the cold plate inside a wrap around or flat rectangle?

Interior temperature will fluctuate from 30-45 degrees, this is normal, a little wide with a working tower cooler, I'd disconnect the tower cooler and run just circulation fan and see what that will do with the temperature, actually you really don't need both.

Beer temperature is all about taste and not what others say it should be if you want at 36 degrees, fine, 42 degrees, fine, but you have to balance the v/v of the beer to the temperature of the beer, this will give you correct PSI setting. Also you have to have accurate measurements of the beer, a few degrees off will throw off PSI setting.
          KB

Comment

Thanks for the information. Checked the kegerator tonight and the beer was pouring fine and beer temp was 37.7 deg. I increased the pressure a bit in the Coors keg but there is no problem with foam. We have been blasting through the kegs but that's the reason we put it in! We've enjoyed Dominion Dortmunder Lager, Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA, Mich Ultra, Coors Light, Miller Lite and Yuengling so far. Good times.

I will definitely look through the newbie guide to make sure I get a better understanding of the setup.

One more question - I haven't cleaned the beer lines yet, but they are obviously being used quite a bit. Do the beer lines really need to be cleaned between kegs if the kegs are replaced so often? Should I make a habit of cleaning them every month, regardless of the turnover rate?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by scott_va View Post
              One more question - I haven't cleaned the beer lines yet, but they are obviously being used quite a bit. Do the beer lines really need to be cleaned between kegs if the kegs are replaced so often? Should I make a habit of cleaning them every month, regardless of the turnover rate?

Thanks
              Yes, i think once a month will be fair. 2 weeks is actually the recommendation, but monthly is fine, IMO.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

scott_va,
                My read for your PSI is 12, if Miller/Coors. Just check the faucet if you see brown stuff clinging to the front above spout (the thingee the moves in and out), shut down and clean faucet, beer line can be done monthly.
                KB

Comment

I just tapped a cold brew blonde. What psi should I set at with 10ft 3/16 line? All reply

Comment

What is the beer temp and volumes of CO2? Those are the factors you need, beer line length is no relevant for balancing. Long lines are used to slow the flow of balanced beer.
                    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

What is the beer temp and volumes of CO2? Those are the factors you need, beer line length is no relevant for balancing. Long lines are used to slow the flow of balanced beer.
                      What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Working...
                      X