Thermostat adjustment on BD6000 HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat adjustment on BD6000 HELP

I have been reading the forums on the adjustment of thermostats but I am struggling with my BD6000. As many, my frig is staying at 40 degrees and the knob is turned all the way to 6 (the highest number of course) and I want it colder. I have taken off the plastic housing and then the bottom metal plate which has revealed a gold screw sitting to the right of the knob turning bar. Im figuring this must be the adjustment screw for the temperature because I do see a spring attached. I have been fiddling with it and have not gotten any results thus far. There is also a silver screw on the side of the thermostat box but I don't think this has to do with anything. Can anyone help?

barnestorm,
    I assume you have an Avanti and home set-up, I'll move when you confirm.
    Hopefully you didn't fiddle with thermostat too much, sometimes moving screw too much can damage thermostat beyond help. If unit was set on MAX and turns off for long periods of time, either auto defrost is kicking in every cycle or thermostat/sensor is messed up.
    Next post, liquid temperature (5 gallon bucket checked after at least 24 hours), what other mods or additions made, how old unit is and if cold plate has lots of ice.
    KB

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
      barnestorm,
      I assume you have an Avanti and home set-up, I'll move when you confirm.
      Hopefully you didn't fiddle with thermostat too much, sometimes moving screw too much can damage thermostat beyond help. If unit was set on MAX and turns off for long periods of time, either auto defrost is kicking in every cycle or thermostat/sensor is messed up.
      Next post, liquid temperature (5 gallon bucket checked after at least 24 hours), what other mods or additions made, how old unit is and if cold plate has lots of ice.
      KB
      Thanks for your reply. My father bought the avanti used becuase the guy said it didn't get cold enough. Well, when it was delivered to me, it didn't get cold at all. So I had drained of all and any gases, freon included and then had it recharged and the proper amount of freon replaced and it now works. Just doesn't get below 40-42. Hopefully I did not mess up the thermostat beyond repair. I can see the spring the screw is connected to but I don't know which way I should go? Spring compressed or let out? There has not been any ice build up on the ice plate which I assumed is the bottom of the frig. There is ice build up in the back on the cold lines. Explain to me the suggestion about the water bucket? I have not tried anything else? Thanks, please reply

Comment

barnestorm,
        I assume you are a home dispenser and not bar owner, I moved the thread. I also assume you don't have any modifications on unit and unit fairly new. I also assume you serviced unit properly (pulled vacuum and checked for leaks), if when at MAX the compressor doesn't turn off (or on for long periods/off short), nothing will make colder. Thermostat controls the amount of time the compressor turn off and on, cold plate (the grill looking thing at back inside of unit, if compressor runs properly will ice up if doesn't shut off) will radiate at MAX cold no matter what thermostat setting you have it on.
        The best way to check the ability of unit to keep beer cold is to throw a bucket of water inside and leave (thermostat set between 3/4 and MAX) for 24-48 hours, check water with calibrated thermometer. This will tell you whether on not it will keep beer below 40 degrees. If your temperature readings are AIR and not liquid, then try and see what water in bucket temperature is without fiddling with thermostat. If after 24-48 hours unit can't get below 40 degrees, I'm not sure any modification will help. If compressor runs long periods of time with off short and water doesn't get low enough, don't think anything will help, if compressor on/off about even and thermostat set where I said fooling around with MIGHT help.
        KB

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
          barnestorm,
          I assume you are a home dispenser and not bar owner, I moved the thread. I also assume you don't have any modifications on unit and unit fairly new. I also assume you serviced unit properly (pulled vacuum and checked for leaks), if when at MAX the compressor doesn't turn off (or on for long periods/off short), nothing will make colder. Thermostat controls the amount of time the compressor turn off and on, cold plate (the grill looking thing at back inside of unit, if compressor runs properly will ice up if doesn't shut off) will radiate at MAX cold no matter what thermostat setting you have it on.
          The best way to check the ability of unit to keep beer cold is to throw a bucket of water inside and leave (thermostat set between 3/4 and MAX) for 24-48 hours, check water with calibrated thermometer. This will tell you whether on not it will keep beer below 40 degrees. If your temperature readings are AIR and not liquid, then try and see what water in bucket temperature is without fiddling with thermostat. If after 24-48 hours unit can't get below 40 degrees, I'm not sure any modification will help. If compressor runs long periods of time with off short and water doesn't get low enough, don't think anything will help, if compressor on/off about even and thermostat set where I said fooling around with MIGHT help.
          KB
          Ahh, yes, sorry, home dispenser. Felt the cold plate and there is some ice crystalized on it. I recently turned the screw and it let out the spring, which is moving in the same direction as if I were turning the themostat up. Compressor is running now. I will give the bucket thing a try too. If none of this works, can I still go the route of a digital thermostat?

Comment

barnestorm,
            Everything depends, if 35- 40 and compressor runs non-stop, something wrong, if compressor has a good rhythm (60 on/15 off) and temperature of water 36-38, then your golden. If nothing works, a new thermostat (analog) might, you could try an external temperature controller (analog or digital fine), MIGHT work but depends on the rhythm of the compressor.
            KB
            PS you really don't have to quote, just reply, thanks

Comment

Also since you're comfortable with exposing the T-stat you could run a system test. Connect the 2 wires from the t-stat together making the compressor run non-stop. Monitor pour temp every 1/2 hour at least so you don't freeze the keg. If the beer gets down to 30F. after 12 hours you know it's just the T-stat holding you back. Then either get a external controller or try to Tweak the stock one. If in 12 hours it stops getting any colder then that is the limit of what the unit will cool too even with an external controller.
              Last edited by pvs6; 07-21-2013, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Hi guy's.. Just found this thread interesting as I'm looking for info on kegerator thermostats. Is there a standard type of thermostat that is used in the kegerators? I'm wanting to replace the one I have for something a little more accurate. Is there such a little control unit out there? If there is where can I get one? Thanks, Quickdraw

Comment

Originally posted by Quickdraw View Post
                  Hi guy's.. Just found this thread interesting as I'm looking for info on kegerator thermostats. Is there a standard type of thermostat that is used in the kegerators? I'm wanting to replace the one I have for something a little more accurate. Is there such a little control unit out there? If there is where can I get one? Thanks, Quickdraw
                  What brand & model kegerator do you have?

The reason I ask is that each manufacturer has their own way of doing things. Some use an air over type of evaporator, some use a cold plate etc. In each case there are different ways of sensing the temperature. Some sense air temp going into the evaporator, some sense the outgoing air & some sense the temperature of the evaporator itself.

Knowing what type of system you have will help in recommending the thermostat best for you.

​THE ICEMAN
                  My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
                  "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
                  -Dave Barry-
                  "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
                  Strong beer is the milk of the old."
                  -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
                  X