Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beers that have similar flavor and/or taste the same

Members,
    I have a question and semi-dilemma, someone I know loves Sweetwater IPA, unfortunately unavailable in my area and need it for a special event. Does anyone out there know of and tried a draft beer (either national distribution or west coast) that tastes the same or similar in flavor?
    Here in paradise, it seems the bars think that Stella Artrois and Budweiser are similar enough that most places I see here that serve small amounts of draft beer, serve Bud Light and no Budweiser, but do serve Stella Artois. I drink Budweiser regularly and tried the Stella on draft and found pretty similar, not exactly but pretty close.
    Thanks to all who read this, and appreciate any comments and suggestions.
    KB

Never had Sweetwater, so I will chime in while someone who has comes around to comment. You have good access to Sierra Nevada, Green Flash, and Lagunitas all of which are very hop forward as any IPA should be. They all make excellent examples of IPA and DIPA. At 6.3% ABV for the Sweetwater, all three of those companies bracket that value with their offerings.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

djc,
      Yeah,
      I looked at the SN Torpedo, I think I can get it, I have to double check with the store (it is on the keg list but that means nothing here), it all depends on distributor and I have to give 1+ week to see, don't know about availability of the other 2, don't recognize them from keg list but will check, much thanks.
      KB

Comment

Torpedo is good, I'm a fan. For Green Flash, check out West Coast IPA. Lagunitas you might want to look at Sucks, IPA, Maximus and for a little more maltiness with your hops A Little Sumpin' Sumpin. The other thing you may have access to is New Belgium Ranger IPA. Damn now I'm really thirsty.

Comment

I find NB Ranger to be a little closer to Sweetwater than Torpedo if you have NB availability, but all that djc listed are good choices. Sweetwater's IPA is a little on the mild hop side for an IPA, but it is definitely tasty. It's slightly sweet and yeasty on the front end, with a nice moderately bitter finish. Anything that isn't too overly hoppy will probably work well. Hope that helps, Todd.
          On: Kona Pipeline Porter, Redhook Longhammer IPA

Gone: NB - 5xRanger, 8x1554, Red Hoptober, Day, Coffee Chocolate Stout, SN 3 xTorpedo, 2xPale, 2xCelebration, Highland 3xOatmeal Porter, Coffee Porter, Terrpain Wake-n-Bake Stout, Widmer - Porter, Shaddock IPA, SA Octoberfest, So Tier - Choklat, Mokah, 2XStout, Great Divide Yeti Stout, 4xHoly City Pluff Mud Porter, Coast HopArt, Smithwicks, 3xSweetwater 420, 2xFoothills HoppYUM IPA, Redhook Pils, Conquest Black IPA

Comment

Thanks one and all for suggestions, looking at Ballast Point IPA as the primary, will look into the New Belgium Ranger IPA and West Coast IPA, not sure if we can get Green Flash, and Lagunitas here in paradise.
            Has anyone tried the Ballast Point IPA on draft?
            KB

Comment

Paradise in what state?

Comment

djc.
                The only state that can't be driven to and cost of living is way higher then it should be because we are sitting in the middle of the Pacific, state of Hawaii.
                KB

Comment

Well that explains the distro issues!

Comment

KB, Ballast Point has 2 IPA's - Sculpin and Big Eye. Sculpin is simply awesome, one of the best IPA's I've had. I have not had Big Eye, but I'd bet it is excellent too.

FWIW, I am less than 3 hours from Atlanta, and I can't get Sweetwater IPA either. The distributor here only carries Sweetwater's 420 Pale.
                    Last edited by stn; 07-10-2013, 06:49 PM.

Gone: NB - 5xRanger, 8x1554, Red Hoptober, Day, Coffee Chocolate Stout, SN 3 xTorpedo, 2xPale, 2xCelebration, Highland 3xOatmeal Porter, Coffee Porter, Terrpain Wake-n-Bake Stout, Widmer - Porter, Shaddock IPA, SA Octoberfest, So Tier - Choklat, Mokah, 2XStout, Great Divide Yeti Stout, 4xHoly City Pluff Mud Porter, Coast HopArt, Smithwicks, 3xSweetwater 420, 2xFoothills HoppYUM IPA, Redhook Pils, Conquest Black IPA

Comment

do they send Stone IPA out there?

Home Brew IPA

Comment

And people say this isn't a friendly community, this is why I put it to the members:

djc,
                        Yeah, basically only 2 distributors, and 2 stores (one with 3 branches) that sell kegs. Only good thing we can get Japanese beer and liquor, can get the "nest" beer and Awamori.

stn,
                        Thanks, store website mentions it is an "ale" and not IPA, checked Ballast site and as you say it's a IPA, will check with friend and store.

cubby_swans,
                        Don't get much Stone even in bottles, will check about kegs, been looking for Fat Tire (bottles), no joy, do get Coronado (bottles/kegs), seems the distributor here is pushing Rogue, Coronado and Ballast Point.

Much thanks, to all.
                        KB

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
                          do they send Stone IPA out there?
                          Well thx Cubby, I've been craving some Stone since you posted that. So, I just had to go out and get a sixtel of Ruination!

KB, I hope you will let us know what you ended up getting and how your friend likes it. I'm always interested in hearing other people's opinion of different beers.

Comment

Hey funny thing, I ordered a sixth of Stone IPA today after this discussion. The tap handle is ordered too, that will show up Monday ahead of the keg.

Comment

No joy in kegs and bottles (or even cans):
                              Yuengling
                              Keegans
                              Magic Hat
                              Abita
                              Dogfish Head
                              New Belgium
                              Fat Tire Stone
                              Sweetwater

Recently removed from keg list:
                              Landshark (hand crossed off list ?!?!?!)
                              also no:
                              Michelob (regular/light), Amber and Ultra are special order but I don't hold my breath at availability.

Also found the Ballast Point is $240 a keg, is this normal cost of this brewery?
                              KB

Comment

Working...
                              X