Beverage air dd50c Compressor cycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beverage air dd50c Compressor cycles

My dd50c was working fine then I had to change out the temp control. I used a stock bev air replacement. After that the box itself stays between 32-34 all the time. But the compressor comes on for 8 minutes then shuts off for 18 minutes then repeats that cycle all day. Is this normal?

Sounds to me like its doing exactly what you need. I wouldn't worry a bit as long as it holds that temp.

​THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Sometimes we over thing things, cycle time are in the normal to above avg. range but if this is a mechanical T-stat, to keep a 2 degree variance in internal air at all times is solid state digital territory at this cycle rate. When we're forced to make a change-out of a system for prior failure there is a tendency to plot data that heretofore we did not. So I have to ask did the old t-stat prior to failure behave like this, what was the old internal air flux. If you don't know don't worry you can't damage the compressor at this cycle rate and I doubt that you are in real time only keeping a 2 degree inside air temp range, you have to take measurements once every 5 mims mim. without opening the door and plot for at least 2 hours to know what. The Iceman knows more about havac than most of us here, if he ain't worried than don't invent a problem that's not there just cuz' some old system broke your heart in the past.

please pardon the long post, it's my Bday and I had the urge to write. but I'm not done yet.

So here's the deal, cycle times are correct, when compressor cycles down about 150 max. and you can hold your hand on it for 5 sec.s at least. Then you got to ask yourself 2nd pour temp, RIGHT what's alway the 1st. data point from which all others can be ferret out.

Comment

thanks for the help on this. What cycle is too short? is 8min on 8 off too short? also on the new bev air temp control I see a screw to the side of the shaft that says colder. Does that calibrate or change the base temperature that the contol works from or does it change the compressor delay time? I have been told both so I wanted to see what you thought about it.

Comment

Generally speaking of cycle times, you can be happy if it's off longer than on, If it stays off twice as long as the runtime you normally can feel really good. But it's not really the cycle times that concern us it's temperature load on the compressor. The wear on a compressor comes from not letting it cool down enough before starting again. Your 8 and 8 maybe just fine. I suggest that you place your hand on the compressor when it shuts off and count how long you can keep it there. Then do so again when it first kicks back on. It should have cooled back down to 100F at least so you can hold you hand on it without discomfort for a long time, it will feel warm but not making you take your hand off.

I don't know this unit but I suspect your describing a mechanical thermostat with a bi-metal spring and not a solid state temp. controller. If that is the case turning the screw rotates the spring in the housing which changes the temp range. If the stat had a 10 degree spread say 35 to 45 degrees then turning the screw you could get 30 to 40 degrees, the 10 degree spread remains the same. A bi-metal spring stat can not give any adjustment for compressor delay time only a solid state temp controller could do that.

Comment

Working...
          X