Black Specs and Off Tasting Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Specs and Off Tasting Beer

I've always cleaned my lines, coupler and faucet after each keg. I just hooked up a new Covington Strawberry Ale and it tastes off and has some black specs in each glass. I'm going to clean and scrub again to make sure it isn't the lines, faucet or coupler. Could it just be a bad batch or keg?

This is our second one of these and back to back. The first one was fantastic at the same temp and psi.
    On tap now: Homebrewed Nut Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Altbier and Berry Blonde Ale.

My Kegerator with Photos

My Kegerator With Photos Update

I think I figured it out. My faucet and coupler looked clean, but when I put my finger into the faucet end of the shank, it came out blackish. Will take the shank out and clean it best as possible. Hope that is the problem. Guess, I will have to add the shank to the cleaning process in between kegs too.
    On tap now: Homebrewed Nut Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Altbier and Berry Blonde Ale.

My Kegerator with Photos

Comment

If you have never disassembled the coupler and cleaned it, you should.
      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Not sure how to disassemble this coupler since it is the low profile coupler. I disassemble my other coupler all the time. I cleaned the shank really good with pipe cleaners and now everything is normal again.

My Kegerator with Photos

Comment

Perhaps Scott will be able to shed some light on cleaning the low profile coupler or maybe it isn't as prone to growing nasty as the others are.
          Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
          but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

What psi do you use with Covington Strawberry? I find it is very hard to get right.

Comment

Working...
            X