• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st beer 80% foam, 2nd beer perfect

Details on my setup:
    1. danby DKC645BLS kegerator with tower cooler fan
    2. I live at 1040 elevation
    3. 3/16" I.D. Vinyl x 5' Long from micromatic
    4. cleaned coupler, faucet and tapper assembly prior to keg (Gordon Biersch Golden Export)
    5. CO2 set at 13 PSI, passed the flashlight test
    6. 1st beer all foam, temp 38.8
    7. 2nd beer fine, temp 36.5

really frustrating. searched around, can't seem to find a solution. When the beer comes out on the first pour, it definitely looks bubbly before it even hits the glass. On the second pour, it looks great coming out of the faucet and looks great in the glass. Got the keg a week ago, never had a good first pour yet. Any suggestions?

kchawkeye02,
    Normally with a tower cooler you should have a good 1st pour, make sure the hose from fan box is right against the shank and blowing and has enough return flow over the beer line, make sure beer line isn't right next to cold plate and tower is insulated properly. what was the previous beers and if you had any problems?.
    KB

Comment

Are you by chance using a forward sealing faucet?
      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Using the rear sealing faucet that came with it. When i cleaned it I replace the beer line with a new one. Previous keg was oktoberfest and had maybe 25% foam on first beer, and good after that. Maybe i put the pieces back together wrong after cleaning?

Also this is my 4th keg since i got the danby. The co2 tank has 1000 psi left, can that affect this?
        Last edited by kchawkeye02; 10-07-2011, 07:24 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

kchawkeye02,
          CO2 should be fine 4 kegs is half way through and 1000 PSI from outside tank is fine. Again 1st pour foam is usually warm tower and faucet. Where is the kegerator located (garage, near heat, un-air conditioned). Ambient temperature can cause problems if difference is drastic, if tower cooler is working properly (blowing on shank, intake not obstructed and actually blowing), insulation in place and stable ambient temperature I can't see what else may be problem, other then faucet, look at the break down of the faucet, only a thin "O" ring is needed, if you pour full on and full off to pour beer, kinda perplexed, please confirm that everything is working in tower cooler and explain what "tapper assembly" is?
          KB

Comment

Beer on top of foam=more foam.

Even with my tower cooled (BM 23) I will continue to get a very brief shot of foam on the first draw. That phenomenon will allow the foam to simply continune resulting in a very sudsy beer. So............

Take your vessel, snap the tap open and shut VERY quickly 2 or 3 times (maybe just a second or so). Somehow get rid of the foam you have just poured...there won't be very much at all...use another glass if you like (I don't). Now draw another beer in the usual fashion (again, quickly open the tap). Sabes que?? Your beer (presuming you poured it correctly, glass at 45 degrees, etc.) will be perfect.
            "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
            Gram Parsons

Comment

Like this...
              "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
              Gram Parsons

Comment

When you open the tap you can see the foam in the flow of beer. Once you get a clear flow close the faucet and chug/dump the foam and then pour the perfect pint.
                No CRAP! on tap

Comment

I have forward sealing faucets and love them, but they do put out an initial shot of foam. I open my faucet for a split second to get that foam out and then gulp that down and then pour the rest of the pint. Works perfectly every time. Maybe you can try the same with your rear sealing faucet.
                  On tap now: Homebrewed Nut Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Altbier and Berry Blonde Ale.

My Kegerator with Photos

My Kegerator With Photos Update

Comment

whenever I go to a pub in the middle of the afternoon, the bartender always has trouble with foam on the first pour.

Maybe you should use two glasses, first one with foam - put it in the fridge and wait: Foam is just beer waiting to happen after all.
                    by the time you have enjoyed the second pour, the first will be ready to go.
                    Alan in PA

Comment

Do you have a 3/16 shank or a 1/4 inch shank. If its 3/16 you can drill out about a 1/2 inch behind the faucet first using a 7/32 bit and then a 1/4 in. Works great on direct draw boxes that were sent out with 3/16 shank. If your bold give it a try!

Comment

jmcfaul@pref-dist
                        Can you explain the theory behind this and why it would help in first pour foam abatement?

Comment

Working...
                        X