No announcement yet.

Foamy Beer thread # two Brazillion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you very much Scott. That is the information I wanted. You rock!

That makes a lot of sense now. By going down to 9 psi the co2 is leaving BIG bubbles in the line (see new pics).

I upgraded to a digital thermometer, checked it in an ice bath and it's right on. I checked my 2nd pour and I'm at 42*, and that's with the fridge at it's lowest setting.

But all this brings me back to my original post. I had my co2 set at 13, temp was probably closer to 42* instead of 39* in the beginning. Which is what I've been running all my prior dunkel's at and they poured perfect until now.

Do you think there could be something wrong with the actual keg that I can't see?
    Attached Files

Comment

My foam issues are still present.

It has been over 3 days since I returned my settings to 13 psi @ 42*, which is the 2.5 vol of co2 recommended by the brewer. I have replaced a few questionable rubber gaskets. I even had a guy that installs/troubleshoots keg dispensing issues come out and check all the components of my set up and he could not find the issue either. Nothing has helped.

I continue to get bubbles in the beer line just above the coupler (see pics above) making the first pour 75%-to 90% foam. While pouring, at about 1 second, I get a burst of foam then beer. If i immediately pour a second beer, it is perfect. After 10-15 minute wait it is foam again.
      The beer is carbonated perfectly,verified by taste and my beer guy, so it's not under carbonated.

From my research, It sounds a lot like a "hot tower" issue. Only problem is, I don't have a tower. It's a "through the door faucet".

Comment

Assuming your 2nd pour temp is exactly 42, as you say it is - your system is balanced according to the chart.

My theory is your keg is no longer 2.5 v/v due to all the previous adjustments before resting at 13psi/42 degrees.

Time will fix this. The bubbles in the line are due to Co2 breakout from the keg - if your only problem was a warm shank (which can be an issue depending on how warm the area around your faucet is) you would see bubbles building up where the beerline enters the shank/faucet, not above the coupler. (same applies for a tower)

Eventually the keg will return to normal, but like I say - that will take time. The beer has absorbed too much Co2 or went slightly flat due to previous settings and it just needs to balance itself out.

That said, serving beers at higher temps (such as 42) can be difficult to do - I don't know why, but I have seen it mentioned by Scott before.

Comment

Yes. 42* is the exact temp. I used a digital themometer that I verfied to be accurate. It's a garage fridge, and 42* beer temp is as low as it will go. It hasn't been hot here in Plano, Texas yet, but I've used this over a year, including last summer, where temps were in the 100's and never had a foam issue.

How much time do you think? I usually go through a keg this size (13.3 gal) in about 3-4 weeks and that's by not wasting any in foam. If it takes much longer it will be all gone.

Comment

You may have over carbonated the keg, to try and fix that you should turn off the CO2, vent the keg. Let it sit, shake it, vent again. Repeat. This will take the excess CO2 out of solution. Then turn the CO2 back on and let it come up to pressure.
            What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

13psi was recommended for a 2.5vol beer at 40F. At 42F, you should be using 14psi.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I finished off the dunkel about 5 days ago and got another. I compared the rubber seals on both kegs. The culprit...the keg seal was seated just a little off. One side was sticking up little higher. It wasn't noticeable until I saw the seal on the new keg. I figured that that little of variation would be compensated by the flexibility of the rubber...but I guess not.

Oh well. Live and learn. I'm once again pouring perfect pints.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                X