Kegerator Pouring Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegerator Pouring Air

I have an Edgestar kegerator, about 2 years old. Been working fine since I bought it. Right before I put in a new keg about a month ago, I installed a dual-regulator CO2 gauge & a new ******* faucet. It was pouring beer fine (although foamy) until the other day ago it was just pouring sporadic bursts of foam/air. I have CO2 left (fairly close to empty), and yes there is beer in the keg.
    I keep it at around 36 degrees in the fridge, co2 at about 13-14psi. Lines & faucet were cleaned before I put in a new keg. I still have the standard hose lengths, no cooling tower. I've just about ran out of ideas.
    A side note... I did notice that when I disconnected the coupler, the keg hissed out air for a good 5 minutes which I thought was odd. Seems like there may be too much air being pushed/ ??

sorry, didn't realize they would censor my faucet. It's a Per-l-icck if that matters.

Comment

The keg was leaking air or the coupler?
      Colin Harrison
      Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

the keg was. i took apart my coupler today & realized i'm randomly missing my check ball & retainer... must have lost it during my last cleaning. could this be the problem? i already ordered the replacement parts.

Comment

Missing the check ball and retainer would not cause this, just beer leaking out when you detach the coupler. It sounds like you could having something caught in the keg causing the pressure to be released. I would start with the keg and inspect the black ring that surrounds the round stainless ball in the center of the tapping portion of the keg. You will notice a raised ring within the black rubber ring (this is black as well so it is hard to see). Dry it off so you get a full visual. Are there any chips in the rubber anywhere? This is where gas and beer are separated upon entry and any chips in here would allow gas to mix with the beer. The next thing I would look at is the coupler gaskets themselves. There is one bigger one on the outside of where the coupler goes in and another smaller one on the piece that engages into the keg when the coupler is in the set position. Are both of those gaskets there?
          Ed
          Blue Line Draft Systems
          www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

as far as i can tell, everything is intact.
            i did a "leak test" just to see if I that may be adding to my problems, but no changes in pressure are seen when turning off valves.
            it has to be coupler related. when i pull the tap handle & watch what happens, it's just short bursts of foam coming through the hose attached to the coupler, which in turn comes out of my faucet.
            man i really wish it was check ball/retainer related, but somehow i knew it wouldn't be that easy.

Comment

How old is the coupler? You could possibly have worn O rings inside that need to be replaced. This could be allowing air to mix with the beer causing the bubbles and foam
              Colin Harrison
              Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

try keeping the tap open until actual beer comes out. then look to see if there is bubbles rising from the keg in the beer line.

Comment

Working...
                X