Beer Leak at Coupler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Leak at Coupler

Hello all. I'm new to the site having just constructed my bar for the Super Bowl. I am happy to report that my setup poured great all day thanks mostly in part to the advice I gathered from this forum.

With that said, I was tinkering around with the setup this week and noticed a small beer leak at the top of the coupler where the beer line attaches. I have a micro-matic "D" coupler (Keg Tap Coupler - D System) that is attached to the beer lines provided in the MicroMatic/Summit two tap system. I looked into earlier posts but found conflicting results on whether or not it is necessary to include a washer at this joint (and if so where I can get one). If anybody can provide an insight into how to fix the leak, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to many more beers on tap.

-ChiBoiler

You need a washer. Beer Line Neoprene Coupling Washer Hex

That will fix the problem.

Comment

Coupler leaks

I'd like to ask a follow up question

My couplers both leak (I have a dual tap) and I am using the neoprene washers

They both leak from the threads (not the top)

If I tighten the coupler any further the neoprene washer will split apart. My question is... Does it matter if the washer breaks apart or should I continue tightening as much as possible

Thank you for any help

Comment

Willbonifant,
        A properly fitted and working washer will not cause beer to leak at the threads, washers are already probably split or check ball retainer is cracked or broken. Your really don't need much torque to prevent leaking, I actually once hand tightened and didn't have any leaks. Make sure the washer is between tailpiece and retainer (coupler), if you put the washer between the tailpiece and hex, threads will always leak. Inspect both washer and retainer, you can run without retainer (just make sure the check ball is removed), just replace washer (maybe 2 if you removed the retainer) make sure it's put together right and hand tighten and just 1/8-1/4 turn with wrench should be fine, it's not a high pressure fitting.
        KB

Comment

Thanks KB, good info for me.. Does it matter if the washer is thick or thin and do ya lube it with food grade lube? gotta ask before I ruin things... know what I mean?

Comment

There is only one washer that you should be using, I can't comment if it's thick or thin because there aren't options, it's just the one size. You can purchase them direct from MM using the link I posted in the 2nd comment.

The size is not a common and you aren't likely to find them locally unless you have a beer supply store in town, you certainly won't find them at a home improvement store.

Don't use any lube on the washers.

Comment

Quickdraw,
              I really don't know what you mean and don't know where your going with this but if you follow your instructions and if it don't leak don't worry. As Sketch says the neoprene washer is the only one, no lube, just don't over-tighten (as replied to poster who never replied or checked back), if your Vissiani is working properly (not leaking or hissing or leaking C02) don't worry just get the temperature of the beer, set to 2.6 (or what Miller Lite is carbonated at) using the carbonation chart and see what happens, IF you have problems start your own thread and post back with all information regarding what you have.
              KB

Comment

You don't need to torque this beyond going hand tight and then 1/4 turn with a wrench. If you over torque this you will only damage the neoprene washer and it will fail which will lead you to additional over tightening.
                On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

Comment

Thank's guy's for the reply's. Sketch, the thick washers I spoke of are the ones in your post. The original washer that was on top of the coupler and beer line was very thin compare to the new ones I bought from MM... My Thermapen just came in the mail today so I'll be checking the temp's a little better. Thank's everyone for your advice.. It's appreciated..

Comment

Working...
                  X