Kegerator cleaning system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegerator cleaning system?

I recently got a kegerator and now I need to buy a cleaning system to keep everything fresh. I see the two different options, the pressurized cleaner that you just tap like a regular keg and the regular cleaning system where you take off the faucet and hand pump the cleaner through the lines. Of course the pressurized system is more expensive, and i don't mind that at all if the convenience is worth it. I have a few questions about the pressurized system. Do I still need to take the coupler and faucet off and let them soak in cleaner or is it really just a system where i connect it, run it through, and im ready for my next keg. Also, since I only have a small CO2 tank (2.5 for now, need to purchase a 5), will the pressurized kit take a large hit on my remaining CO2 or is it insignificant? Im new to all this and any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

I can't comment on the pressurized system. I use the bottle that backflows through the line. It takes 5 minutes to clean my system. And I don't waste any CO2.
    SEAN
    I cool my tower with Beer.
    http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

I don't use the pressure cleaner either but will venture some assumptions. My 5 lbs Co2 tank will push 10 plus 1/2 barrels so a 2.5 # should get you (5) 1/2 barrels. The Co2 consumption used by the cleaning system should be about what it takes to fill 2 pitchers of beer, one pitcher worth for solution and one for fresh rinse. So Co2 use in that system isn't really a factor worth concern. For the most part where ever beer touches in the delivery system (coupler, line and faucet) the cleaning solution will readily also. So disassembly may not need be required. However there are places in the faucet that beer doesn't commonly reach like the vent holes and around the slider cylinder shut off that can promote growth. If I were to use this system I would still take the faucet off since it's easy to do so and doesn't take much time or effort and clean those spots every other keg or so. I would guess the major consideration in this system is the expense and not the effectiveness.

Comment

I don't know that much about kegerators yet, but did find a website that explains the cleaning pretty good.
        It has an article explaining, and a video that also explains.

Homemade Kegerator

Hope this helps.

Comment

I have had my kegerator for about 3 months now and I clean it after empty keg. Immediately after I run out actually. I don't not use the pressure system, here is what I do. I take the faucet completely apart take the hoses apart and remove the coupler. I then fill my sink about half full of water and a cap full of cleaning solution. I typically do this late in the evening and let it soak over night. Then next morning I clean with a wire brush and rinse several times. Then I reassemble and i'm good to go. Takes about 10-15 minutes to disassemble and then the same to reassemble. Since I go through a 1/6 keg about every 3 weeks and clean after every keg there is never any build up of any kind. I know some only keg after every few kegs but for me I would rather do it after each one. It really doesn't take much time and I don't have tow worry about anything. Plus I don't use anymore C02, that means more for beer Never had problem yet and works great for me, but then again everybody has their own way of doing things. If you have any questions please feel free to let me know. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X