How old is too old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old is too old?

I can get out of date Keystone light 1/2 barrels from the distributor for a good deal.
    How long past the code date would these still be ok to drink?
    They have always been cold and never got warm.

Hey, another Keystone Light fan!

The beer guy that I used to use said that the date on the keg was the date the keg was brewed! It doesn't really say what it means.
    I bought one that was one month after that, and didn't notice any difference.

The next keg I bought had a date 6 weeks prior to the purchase date: that's when I figured out the date was a "drink by" rather than a "born on"
    the date can easily be washed off with a wet rag.
    Alan in PA

Comment

No. These are definitley sell by dates on these kegs.
      Most Bud products have a born on date.

Comment

so there's a ---

Born on date - presumably the date the keg was filled.
        Sell by date -- the date they should send it back to the brewery
        Drink by date - the last date you and your buddies are willing to drink the brew

what the heck does the date on the keg mean? does it vary by brewery?
        Alan in PA

Comment

Originally posted by aspinallar View Post
          so there's a ---

Born on date - presumably the date the keg was filled.
          Sell by date -- the date they should send it back to the brewery
          Drink by date - the last date you and your buddies are willing to drink the brew

what the heck does the date on the keg mean? does it vary by brewery?
          Yes, it varies by brewery. Most that I have seen use fill dates, but some use 'best by' dates, and apparently 'sell by' dates as well. If you are unsure about a date for a particular beer, your best option is to contact the brewery and ask them what the date means.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I asked today. It's a "use by" date. So my question is how much past that date would you drink it?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik13 View Post
              I asked today. It's a "use by" date. So my question is how much past that date would you drink it?
              I'd not worry about how long past for drinking, only purchasing. If there is a best by date, and I thought I would consume it in that amout of time or shortly after I'd not worry about it. If it was close to or beyond that date already, I wouldn't buy it. At any rate, beer like most consumables is not going to magically turn bad on a particular date. I've ate bacon that was a week or so past the use by date.
              Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
              but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Hey man, if you are reduced to drinking keystone light, you won't even be able to tell when it goes bad, it was made that way.

Comment

Originally posted by skywarrior View Post
                  Hey man, if you are reduced to drinking keystone light, you won't even be able to tell when it goes bad, it was made that way.
                  This is not the place for giving people grief about their choice of beverage. This is the place where we hope to help people enjoy their choice of beverage on draft to the best of their ability.

Cheers!

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by skywarrior View Post
                    Haha. I get it for a great price ( I work for a beer distributor) and I actually like the stuff!

Comment

I agree. It doesn't matter what brand of beer you buy as long as you enjoy it.
                      This is not the place for negative comments about choice of beer.
                      Alan in PA

Comment

Man, that was a JOKE! We are taking things WAAAAAY to seriously here! Sorry I offended the taste judgement of Erik13.

Comment

Anybody know what the date collar refers to on kegs of Mooshead lager? I'm still waiting for a callback from the brewery. None of the distributers have a clue. The best I can get out of them is "That's a good question", or a "I don't know".

The best I've received was two weeks after the date stamp. The worse was two months (and it tasted like it was skunked).

Comment

If it's just a date, it's LIKELY the fill date, but that's really just a guess. Unless the keg is subjected to some new type of light that is able to penetrate aluminum kegs, or it's a clear keg, it's impossible that the beer is skunked. "Skunked" is what happens to beer subjected to light. Age/heat can NOT skunk a beer. The beer may taste stale or old, but it's not skunked.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

The date codes utilized by the breweries are there for distribution. Wholesalers are required by the breweries that they represent to monitor the inventory at retail. Fresh beer sells. These freshness dates are determined by brewery personnel who are skilled and trained on sensory perception. Interesting to note that the pull dates are quite consistent across the different breweries, types and styles of beer.

If you come across a product that is "out of code", you alone must determine if it is acceptable or not. If not, return it to the store for credit.
                              Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Working...
                              X