Beverage Air DD58 Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beverage Air DD58 Issues

I bought a used BevAir DD58 a couple of months ago. I got it home, cleaned it up, and ran it for a while. The temp got down to acceptable levels for a while, but the compressor was running constantly. After some time, the evaporator coil iced over (on one end). I unplugged to defrost and tried again and it wouldn't go below 50 degrees. At this point I pulled the plug for a while and replaced the thermostat and door seals (which probably needed to be replaced anyways) and verified I didn't have any other gaps/air leaks. Once I got that done, I brought it back up and still can't get it below 50 deg.

Any ideas? I'm looking for someone to come check the refrigerant, but am having a hard time finding anyone in my area. Am I even on the right track?

Any insights are appreciated! Thanks.

I would say so. Typically the icing on the condenser comes from high humidity air entering the unit (usually through bad seals or too much opening and closing) and this will cause the unit to stop cooling effectively. It should however return to normal after you defrost it. The next place I would go looking is the refrigerant levels, any local refrigeration of even hvac company should be able to help you out.
    Ed
    Blue Line Draft Systems
    www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

With all due respect to my fellow Moderator, he is mistaken. The icing up of the 'evaporator' as described in the original post is most likely due to low refrigerant level. And on those units it doesn't take much to be low. The reason it ices up in just the one end of the evaporator is because the coil is not filling with refrigerant & what refrigerant there is flashes over causing the ice. In other words you have a leak in the system.

You need to find a service company that is familiar with those types of systems to leak check, repair & recharge the system. A regular A/C company will not do.

THE ICEMAN
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
      X