Too much head now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much head now...

OK, I got my check ball/retainer issue solved thanks to the forum here. Now that my beer is flowing I'm getting about 50/50 head beer. It appears what's happening is that the first shot out of the tap is mostly foam and then it turns to beer in a second or so but what this means is when drawing a pint, the glass is overflowing with foam by the time its half full of beer. Once everything settles, the beer drinks just fine.

-I've got a Danby kegerator set to 40 degrees (was set to 36 but I upped it a bit)

-C02 set to 10psi

-I'd say 3.5-4 feet of beer hose, but not positive. I can measure if this is very critical.

-Beer is torpedo of Fat Tire

-I'll sheepishly admit now that the keg was allowed to come to room temperature for about 3-4 days before I got the fridge setup

Thanks in advance.

The problem is that the tower is NOT insulated. I have the same kegerator and the same problem. I keep the temp cranked all the way down and the beer stays about 40-42. The fix is to get a new higher quality kegerator the work around is to pour until it stops foaming, about 2 seconds. Let the glass sit until the foam turns back into beer, about 2 or 3 minutes, and then continue pouring. You should get about 12 oz of beer with a nice 4 oz head.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with Tabasco and home brew
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with Tabasco and home brew

Comment

Also I replaced the supplied 1/4 beer line with about 5 feet of 3/16".

Comment

How much did the larger beer line help? I'm thinking about installing a fan a la psychodad (I think that was his name) from here on the forum.

Comment

Wait a second. That post did not mention a larger beer line but a longer beer line. Readjust your thermostat to acquire 38 F beer temp. If you reside at sea level, set pressure at 14 PSIG and install five feet of 3/16" Inside Diameter (ID) tubing.

As to the tower, try to use a fan to force air up the tower but install so that the air can return back into the box.

Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

A think the lenght of beer line IS about 5 feet. I'll double check though. And its already 3/16, for some reason I was thinking it was something else. I'll double check the lenght. I'm near sea level. What specifically does a LONGER beer line do???

Comment

Increases the resistance to the flow of beer as it passes through. The more resistance, the slower the flow. Never adjust pressure of 100% CO2 to control flow.

Comment

I bought the 5ft. of pre-assembled line from you over the weekend. I checked and the line is about 2.5 feet long, not anywhere NEAR 5ft. Hopefully that will help right there.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by imahawki

OK, I got my check ball/retainer issue solved thanks to the forum here. Now that my beer is flowing I'm getting about 50/50 head beer. It appears what's happening is that the first shot out of the tap is mostly foam and then it turns to beer in a second or so but what this means is when drawing a pint, the glass is overflowing with foam by the time its half full of beer. Once everything settles, the beer drinks just fine.

-I've got a Danby kegerator set to 40 degrees (was set to 36 but I upped it a bit)

-C02 set to 10psi

-I'd say 3.5-4 feet of beer hose, but not positive. I can measure if this is very critical.

-I'll sheepishly admit now that the keg was allowed to come to room temperature for about 3-4 days before I got the fridge setup

Thanks in advance.
                  TRUE TDD1 Kegerator
                  with custom 4-Tap "T" Tower

NOW ON TAP:
                  1. [Hopefully Root Beer later this week]
                  2. Lost Coast Downtown Brown
                  3. New Belgium Fat Tire Amber
                  4. Speakeasy Big Daddy I.P.A.

Comment

I also have a Danby with the same issue. Once the hose in the tower and the tap cools via the flowing beer the foam is normal.

I just learned to like ice cream for the first pour of the day. Was thinking of insulating the tower but after a few perfectly poured beers couldn't be bothered anymore.

Another thing I noticed is that the tap gums up quite alot overnight(i think because the warming up tower dries the reside in the tap) making the first pour very difficult to pull. This results in a slow opening of the tap and therefore more turbulence in the flow and therefore foam. I addressed this issue by lubing the tap between kegs. The amount of ice cream I now get is quite low even when the tower/tap is warm.

Comment

I apologize for the empty response. I hit something wrong i guess???
                      quote:Originally posted by imahawki

-C02 set to 10psi

Thanks in advance.
                      I'm having the exact same problem!!! I recently purchased a True (TDD1) Kegerator. I removed the single tap tower, and replaced it with a 4 tap tower from micromatic. The new tower has the insulation (inside of the steel lined with foam), and I ran the Cool Air Tube (a feature of the original kegerator) up into the new tower.

User yddraig said that the problem might be that the tower was not keeping the beer cool enough. I'm not sure what i can do to fix this problem??

The only additional thing i could do, would be to cut a larger hole in the top of the kegerator. The Stock cut hole isn't even close to 3" and I've stuffed, four beer lines and the air tube through it. Any suggestions?????[?][?][?]
                      TRUE TDD1 Kegerator
                      with custom 4-Tap "T" Tower

NOW ON TAP:
                      1. [Hopefully Root Beer later this week]
                      2. Lost Coast Downtown Brown
                      3. New Belgium Fat Tire Amber
                      4. Speakeasy Big Daddy I.P.A.

Comment

Well, I installed the longer beer line I purchased, and honestly, if I had to guess, I'd say the foam is worse than it was stock. Now if I pour multiple beers in a row, the 2nd, 3rd, etc. are worse than they were originally.

Comment

mmmmmmm did I hear sumthin bout too much head?[:0] didnt know there was such a thing

From the land of pleasant living, the Chesapeake bay
                          Mark
                          From the land of pleasant living, the Chesapeake bay
                          and hot steamed crabs!

Comment

Is it possible there is a kink in the line? It doesn't make sense that a longer beer line would give more foam. Maybe you shook the keg up while installing the new beer line. Maybe the tempurature fluctuated in the process. Once everything levels out, maybe it will be better. You still should pour off the initial foam because pouring beer on top of foam makes it worse.

Stefan

Comment

Did you mention that the new tower had four steel or possibly stainless steel tubes wrapped inside of a foam jacket? If this is a air shaft tower, this should not be the case. Please advise.

Comment

Working...
                              X