Calling all Danby resistor users...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Danby resistor users...

Got a new keg Wednesday night, and after 48 hours in the box set to 36 my beer is still pouring at 40 degrees. I have a 33k resistor, and normally when I set the Danby to 37, my beer pours @ 34 to 36 degrees and my air temp (using a 'fridge thermometer) is around 30 degrees. I pulled the resistor and put in a new one, but the results remain the same. It seems to me that the new resistor doesn't fit as snug as in the past. Is it possible that maybe it's not getting enough contact with the metal in the sensor plug anymore? I was thinking of making small loops at the end of the resistor to try and fatten it up a bit for better contact, but wasn't sure if bending the metal would cause it to crack or make it not work correctly by putting that sort of tension on the ends. Has anyone else experienced this issue when using a resistor?

I'm starting to think it's time to look into an external temp control...

Appreciate any feedback!
    Last edited by daswerve; 08-13-2010, 06:05 PM.
    On Tap - BEER

If you are going to try the resistor make a permanent connection be it soldering, butt splices or even wire nuts. I understand that many people are worried about voiding warranty status or bought extended service agreements. But if you are having temperature problems, wouldn't that be cause to call for service instead of trying to fix it yourself?
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

My warranty has expired, so no biggie there.

I don't really feel it's time to make a service call b/c the unit is performing as it did pre-resistor: running fine, just not getting cold enough for my taste. I really just want to find out if anyone has experienced the resistor not working anymore (via the sticking-it-in-the-plug method) and how it was remedied.
      On Tap - BEER

Comment

I was just pointing out that this idea of not installing the resistor correctly because warranty warranty issues is silly and I don't know how this idea came about to do it this way. If someone has a product that is not performing and they have a warranty it is silly in my opinion to try to fix in in a manner that does not void the warranty that the person is worried about.

Poking the leads of the resistor into the connector is a poor method IMHO.

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

Comment

I totally agree with what you are saying. My reasoning behind my decision is this: I don't own a soldering gun nor have I ever used one, so for me poking the leads in the connector is the easier method.

For the time being, I think I might try 1/2 Watt instead of 1/4 Watt resistor, b/c I think the poles are a little thicker. Maybe in the near future I can find someone to solder it inline, but not on a Saturday with a brand new keg at stake
          Last edited by daswerve; 08-14-2010, 08:50 AM.
          On Tap - BEER

Comment

UPDATE: I was able to get a 1/2 Watt 33k resistor working, but have noticed that I now have to set the Danby to 36 to achieve the same results I was getting before with the 1/4 Watt resistor and the box set to 37. Would this be due to the different wattage?
            On Tap - BEER

Comment

The wattage kinda sorts likely made a difference if you are still trying to poke the leads in instead of making a solder or permanent connection. However not due to wattage, the heavier leads are going to be easier to make a connection with that way.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, Psychodad. The thicker leads for sure made it fit more snug. Once this keg is gone, I'll be taking the sensor to a friend for the soldering job.
                On Tap - BEER

Comment

You may notice a little more change one way or the other once soldered like you did with the 1/4 watt vs. 1/2 watt thing. This would be due to the connection have very little additional resistance. Either way I don't think it will be enough to hurt anything if 33k is working for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X