Caustic Beer Line Cleaning Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caustic Beer Line Cleaning Solution

So....while cleaning the lines with BLC Line Cleaner (been using it for years-seems to be good stuff) I decided to see what exactly this chemical was. Turns out the primary ingredient is potassium hydroxide (aka caustic potash). Found this on a Material Safety Data Sheet

"3. Hazards Identification

Emergency Overview
    --------------------------
    POISON! DANGER! CORROSIVE. CAUSES SEVERE BURNS TO SKIN, EYES, RESPIRATORY TRACT, AND GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT. MATERIAL IS EXTREMELY DESTRUCTIVE TO ALL BODY TISSUES. MAY BE FATAL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED.

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!

Now granted I flush the lines with plain water after using this solution (about 1/2 oz per quart of water) and I haven't burned out my G I tract yet, but I now ponder if I want to continue using this stuff? Or maybe flush with even more water?? Anyone out there ever have a less-than-great experience with this product??
    "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
    Gram Parsons

As long as your flush it with water a couple of times after cleaning you will be fine. It's already a fairly week solution when you mix it with the water (about 1/2 ox in a quart) under normal usage guidelines. Be smart and wear gloves and eye protection when using it, flush it a couple time with water and you will be good to go.

Originally posted by Acmemfg View Post
    So....while cleaning the lines with BLC Line Cleaner (been using it for years-seems to be good stuff) I decided to see what exactly this chemical was. Turns out the primary ingredient is potassium hydroxide (aka caustic potash). Found this on a Material Safety Data Sheet

"3. Hazards Identification

Emergency Overview
    --------------------------
    POISON! DANGER! CORROSIVE. CAUSES SEVERE BURNS TO SKIN, EYES, RESPIRATORY TRACT, AND GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT. MATERIAL IS EXTREMELY DESTRUCTIVE TO ALL BODY TISSUES. MAY BE FATAL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED.

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!

Now granted I flush the lines with plain water after using this solution (about 1/2 oz per quart of water) and I haven't burned out my G I tract yet, but I now ponder if I want to continue using this stuff? Or maybe flush with even more water?? Anyone out there ever have a less-than-great experience with this product??
    On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

Comment

Agreed. Use as directed and flush you will be fine.
      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Agreed as well. There are plenty of harmful cleaners that when used as directed are quite fine. If you swallowed straight chlorine bleach it will jack you up, too, yet it's in your drinking water.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I've been a nut about risning the lines, so I hooked up a home made "stepped up" attachment for my garden hose. I attach one end to my hose and the other is "stepped" to fit the hose that came with the cleaning kit. I basically reverse flow water through the lines and faucets..... with all that water pressure from my garden hose. If you want to know more you can private message me for pic's, etc.
          "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
          Sinatra

Comment

Caustic solutions stronger than this are used to clean stainless and lines in breweries day in and day out all over the world, kegs are generally washed with a strong caustic or acid, or both before being refilled, and any responsible bar cleans their lines regularly with the stuff. As long as you rinse well before drinking, you will be just fine, but don't drink the first beer out of the line after running caustic if you didn't rinse with water first!

Comment

Compare it to the powder used in residential dishwashers. It's basically the same stuff with some additives to prevent streaking, spotting, etc... It's used everywhere. Follow the instructions carefully and you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
              X