Which Cleaning kit to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Cleaning kit to buy?

I see lots of different cleaning kits out there ranging from 20 dollars to the commercial 500 dollar range. I don't need a commercial system but I am having difficulty finding any reviews on the different cleaning kits. Some have pumps some don't. Some are co2 powered. Thoughts?
    Good while they lasted
    8 gal Sam Adams
    8 gal Sam Adams
    16 gal Fat Tire

IMHO....just the basic one quart pump system for ~$30 should do you fine... (assuming you already have a faucet wrench and brush.)

I bought this kit... it has a plastic , one quart container with the hand pump to run the cleaning solution through the lines. (Once you get the flow going it actually “siphons” from the quart container down the beer line… into a small bucket I use to catch the solution.) This process works really well without spending TOO much money.

The only hassle I've encountered is running enough fresh water through the system to ensure the cleaning solution is completely rinsed out. Soooo, I got creative. After runniing all the solution through the lines, I hooked up a garden hose (kegerator is close to the hose bibs in the garage) to the cleaning line that connects to the faucets. After a water tight connection, I crank that baby up to reverse-flow fresh water down the beer line. No more concern about residual solution in lines... and it is FAST! Takes me about 10 - 15 minutes to do the whole process. Rinsing the faucets and coupler is easily done in the kitchen sink. Hope that helps....
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
    Sinatra

Comment

Thanks that does help. Anyone use the super cheap 20 dollar kit out there that does not have a pump. It looks like it is either just gravity / siphon or a squeeze bottle? My gut is telling me to stay away from it and pick up the pump style. Get what you pay for kinda thing.
      Good while they lasted
      8 gal Sam Adams
      8 gal Sam Adams
      16 gal Fat Tire

Comment

My sanyo came with that -- it was a mess. You'd turn the bottle upside down and 1/2 the time the water would leak all over the place. Spend the 30 up front and get the hand pump model.
        "Stay thirsty my friends"
        - The most interesting man in the world.

Comment

I bought the D system 1.3 gallon kid that MicroMatic sells. Yes - you can absolutely do the same job cheaper with something else. This was $100 and - TO ME - worth it. You pressurize it with the keg coupler and 15 minutes later, you're all set. Fill the same jug with clean water, pressurize, and you've finished the job.

I like it, but recognize a cheaper product would do just as well; it's convenience for me.

Comment

DPIStorm thanks for the info on the cheaper kits. Thats exactly what I was hoping to learn from this posting. Thanks for taking the time to post

nolnacSM - That sounds cool. A little pricy for me but sounds like a great Bday xmas idea. Thanks for taking the time to post.
            Good while they lasted
            8 gal Sam Adams
            8 gal Sam Adams
            16 gal Fat Tire

Comment

I've used the micromatic hand pump cleaner for a few years now. No complaints.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I have the pressurized bottle and always thought it overkill and the hand pump would have been just as good. But I've since realized that multile lines, taps and faucets are much easier with the pressurized bottle. If you have more than one beer on tap or plan to, consider the pressurized bottle.
                Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Thanks all for the Great info. I picked up a pump style kit. I was very happy with it. It performed great. I was getting a little to much head on the first beer (4-5 fingers) Now my first pour is perfect. Thanks all for your info and insight. I'm very thankful to have found this forum.
                  Good while they lasted
                  8 gal Sam Adams
                  8 gal Sam Adams
                  16 gal Fat Tire

Comment

Working...
                  X