Beer Taste Funny.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Taste Funny.....

Hello All, I just tapped a hefeweizen yesterday in my beermeister. My Fiance tasted it and says it has a strong after taste - like metal or something. I tasted and I have to say I kinda agree. Also - Brewery says keg was Kegged 2 weeks ago and we are noticing some white yeast looking substance at the bottom of our glasses.

what can I do? thanks. - the newbie

pressure is 10psi
    Temp 39F - will eventually get to 38F

When was the last time you cleaned your lines?

Hefeweizens are typically unfiltered, so what you're probably seeing in your glass is bits of wheat.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Thanks Cubby - to be honest I've never officially cleaned the lines Kegerator was used and I replaced the lines completely. I've only had 3 kegs, shocktop, Great White, and now this hef, Its always been plugged in and I don't see an type of residue.

Could this be the issue?

Comment

Just because you can't see residue, doesn't mean it's not there. You should definitely give the system a full disassembly (faucet and tap) and cleaning with actual beer line cleaner between each keg. If you take your faucet apart, I'll bet you'd be surprised what you find in there.

Comment

Seconded. You should clean after each keg during downtime. I let mine slip one cleaning and I found some nasty gunk in the tap. I can't imagine after 3! Yikes -- You should document what you find!
          "Stay thirsty my friends"
          - The most interesting man in the world.

Comment

OK DPI, got it.... Ordering a cleaning kit right now. Will definitely document what I find. should I just untap and wait until I clean?

Comment

Hefs are served "mit hefe" (with yeast) so it is very possible that it is indeed hefeweizen yeast you are seeing at the bottoms of the glass. Protein chains from the wheat will make the beer cloudy, but I don't think there will be a sediment from it in the glass. Hef yeasts usually yield phenolic smells and flavors, which are sometimes medicinal or clove-like and there are several different hef strains. Is this what you are tasting? While I don't mind hefs, I prefer more neutral American yeast strains in wheat beers.

It is not unheard of to serve hefs with a slice of lemon in the glass or on the rim. You may want to give that a try to see how it affects the taste for you. But nevertheless I'm in agreement that your line cleaning is past due. I'd disassemble the faucet and coupler when I clean this first time too as you don't know what kind of maintenance this thing has had being used.
              Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
              but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Working...
              X