Sudden co2 loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden co2 loss

I just filled a 5 lb bottle of co2 last night. It was registering around 850 lbs of pressure. I hooked it up to my keg and overnight it has decreased to about 650 lbs of pressure. I have submerged the pressure gauge and co2 bottle underwater and do not see any leakage. The co2 bottle is stored inside of the kegerator.

Is this type of pressure loss normal due to being stored at a low temperature inside the kegerator? If so, how long will a 5 lb bottle last under these conditions? My last 1/2 keg of cider ran thru a full 5 lb bottle. Please advise.

Perfectly normal... CO2 will drop from Room Temp to being cooled.
    On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

Comment

Thanks but is it normal for one 1/2 keg to go through the entire 5 lb bottle?

Comment

Darn... missed the second part... you have a leak somewhere. Have you check all the connections with a soapy connection. Generally you should get 8 or 9 1/2 per 5lb cylinder. My first Cylinder got me through 6 and it took me 18 months to do it. I'm not sure the place that filled mine is putting 5lbs in the cylinder as on a scale I was seeing 11lbs and the tare is 7.5 in a freshly filled cylinder. Are you on a new keg? If it's still the same keg check the seal on the keg. Also have you checked the condition of the Sankey Tap Bottom Seal?

Originally posted by Breal View Post
        Thanks but is it normal for one 1/2 keg to go through the entire 5 lb bottle?
        On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

Comment

This is the second keg I have had this problem with. I just bought the coupler from Micro Matic so the Sankey seal should be ok. I submerged the co2 bottle and the gauges in a bucket of water...no leaks. I tried soapy water on the line connections but found no leaks there either. Is there anthing else that could be leaking?

After less than a week of use, the 5lb bottle of co2 is now empty. I had my pressure set at about 13 psi. Please advise.

Thanks,
          Breal

Comment

Working...
          X