air, foam issues, desperate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air, foam issues, desperate

So I've moved in a house with a kegerater and I've tryed to throw parties several times and get embarressed. Any insight would be extremely helpful. I can't tell you wat type of kegerater it is my landlord says its a coors light kegerater but I don't even know if that exists but I've had several issues with it. Ive played with many different pressures but the one thing that is constant is a bubbling inside the keg when it is first tapped. eventually the bubbling stops and when i pour a beer theres a big spurt of air and foam then the beer follows. Ive also had times where i get nothing but air and foam. I've already replaced the regulater and CO2 tank. PLEASE HELP!

plb807,

The simple solution is to look through system and see if everything is hooked up properly. Usually red line runs from regulator to the coupler, this is usually the connector that is at an angle, then the beer line comes out from the top that leads to the faucet. If all is fine then clean equipment properly, check to see if temperature of beer where it needs to be, set PSI appropriately to brewery specs. PSI shouldn't be used to push the beer out, only to keep the beer from going flat.

Once you remedy the problem, there's not can be done, if the unit is not yours there's not much you can do in the way of major permanent modifications unless you have permission to do so. Posting pictures of the unit would help in identification, every manufacturer has it's own quirks and tricks to pour perfect beer.

KB

Comment

alright thanks I'm sure its hooked up correctly ive looked at many diagrams to

double check. Ill post pictures and get back with beer temp tommorrow.

much appreciated

Comment

It sounds as though your landlord doesn't know much about kegerators. And I'd imagine a kegerator in a rental doesn't get maximum cleaning and maintenance. I'd take the coupler and faucet apart and clean them for sure before I tapped another keg.
        Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
        but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

plb807,

If can't post pics, try to describe coupler (thing that goes on top keg connects to beer line). Totally agree with psychodad, try to clean the coupler, faucet and beer line before trying to pour again. It does sound like you have the gas and beer line reversed, but can't confirm till you post pics.

KB

Comment

thanks for the advice. Im certain the lines arent crossed heres some photos of what I'm workin with. My tower is not cooled as youll see.
            Attached Files

Comment

And I also just noticed these air bubbles accumulating in the beer line just above the coupler after it has set for awile.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by plb807 View Post
                And I also just noticed these air bubbles accumulating in the beer line just above the coupler after it has set for awile.
                When you can see air bubbles accumulating there it usually means your pressure is too low. What is your pressure set at?

What is your beer temp? To get an accurate temp you need to pour a glass of beer, put it to the side and pour another one. Measure the temp of the second glass.

Comment

Ill have to get a thermometer tommorrow for the temp it has a setting inside that has a notch for the supposed ideal temperature. Right now im running at 12 psi but now ive noticed the second gauge on my regulater is showing the psi left in the c02 tank is about 400 pounds less then when i first tapped the keg yesterday. Maybe I have a leak somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by plb807 View Post
                    Ill have to get a thermometer tommorrow for the temp it has a setting inside that has a notch for the supposed ideal temperature. Right now im running at 12 psi but now ive noticed the second gauge on my regulater is showing the psi left in the c02 tank is about 400 pounds less then when i first tapped the keg yesterday. Maybe I have a leak somewhere?
                    Yes you definitly have a leak. Unless you drank a lot of beer last night.

Get a bucket and make soapy water using dish detergent. fold up a paper towel, scoop some of the bubbles and place them on all of your connections on your regulator. You will easily see where the air is leaking from. I had this problem and no matter how much teflon tape i used it still leaked. I ended up using both teflon tape and plumbers puddy. I didnt have any problems after that.

Comment

Alright thanks alot I will do that. I gave the whole setup a really extensive cleaning and it seems to have helped tremendously with the initial spurt of air and foam. I think once i get this leak solved I should be good to go. Thanks for all the input!

Comment

plb807,

Right now the CO2 leak is the least of your worries, I think temperature is your main concern.

The only thing I can see from your pics is you can insulate the beer line. Home Depot and other home improvement store carry polyethylene pipe insulation, wrap beer line all the way to the faucet, then buy a wireless thermometer and place in unit near keg and monitor temperatures, when compressor is on should be in upper 20’s. Test beer as it comes out (second beer in room temperature glass), should be 38 degrees.

Listen to Jimbo69ny the PSI should be set to beer specs as it corresponds to temperature. Meaning take temperature of beer, then set PSI.

About loss of 400 PSI

Sorry don’t know how to quote from other threads but Scott Zuhse said in another thread:

“CO2 at room temperature will exert approx. 825 PSI in head space of cylinder ( CO2 is in liquid phase) @ room temperature. When inside a kegerator, closer to 450-500 due to colder temperature of the gas. Yield is not much different.”

So loss of 400 PSI from room temp to inside kegerator is normal (if tank was at room temperature before you put it unit)

Jimbo69ny,

If you have an older model regulator, it may require a fiber washer between the tank and regulator, I had same problem, all it took was washer and a little Teflon tape. The best way I heard to check if there is a leak is to put tank, regulator and coupler in a tub of water and see if any bubbles appear, was going to try this the next time I refill my tank.

I think plb807 has a new model regulator so shouldn't have much risk of leak if the 800+ PSI reading was from a room temperature tank. So buy 1 digital thermometer to measure beer temperature and another to measure unit temperature, leave on don't open door for 24 hours and pour beer and see.

KB

Comment

Thanks again for all the insight. I will definately do those things. I have new frustrations now. Everything was working beautifully with the last half of the last keg. I bought a new one today put it in the kegerater let it sit for 5 hours before tapping it and i tapped it with the quik cutoff valve closed on the regulater. I Poured one beer beautifully before i realized the valve was still shut so i reopened it so the keg was once again receiving 12 psi and once again i get nothing but bursts of air and foam. No beer. This seems to happen everytime i get a new keg. When i opened the valve i heard the bubbling coming from inside the keg once again. Really frustrating. Any ideas?

And by the way the loss of 400 psi seems to have stopped there so leak may not be possibility.

Comment

one more thing sorry. After i opened it and heard the bubbling inside the keg and got the spurts of air and foam, i waited till the bubbling went away and turned the valve off again and started getting good pours again until eventually the presseure died off and i would have to be forced to repeat the cycle.

Comment

Are you sure you have the right coupler? And where are you holding your tongue?
                              SEAN
                              I cool my tower with Beer.
                              http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

Working...
                              X