"Beer Clean" Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Beer Clean" Glass

While surfing what Kegs are available in Ontario I came accross this interesting comment

"Use a detergent designed specifically for beer glass cleaning. It must be low-suds, odour-free and non-fat. Do not use regular liquid household dish washing detergents for glassware. They are fat-based and will leave a slight oily film on the glass. This causes beer to go flat quickly. "

I've been using whatever is on the kitchen sink...

So what are you all using to wash your beer glasses?
    Last edited by aspinallar; 01-07-2010, 06:39 AM.
    Alan in PA

I use a dishwasher, and I'm not talking about my wife.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

High temp sanitizing NSF commercial dishwasher using NO chemicals...

If required to remove food grease or oils left by lipstick and the like, manual washing with a natural citrus based degreaser before they go in the machine.

Most people wont go with anything this extravagant, and honestly, most home washed beer glasses are going to perform better than most restaurant or bar washed ones. This is simply because glassware in these establishments are often co-mingled with other food-service wares in the dishwasher and get coated with even more oils and other contaminants from that than from the chemical detergent and other agents used.

Comment

I've been using the dishwashing wand filled with regular liquid dishwashing soap that I leave in my bar sink. Honestly I havent noticed any issues. I cant believe your beer could go flat in the 15 minutes it takes to drink a pint of beer....assuming it takes you that long to drink a pint .

I do make sure to rinse my glasses thoroughly when I'm done washing them.

Comment

It's not that they go flat per se, the fat simply destroys the head retention of the beer. Similar to those out there that rub the oil off their forehead on their finger and stick in in the beer glass if it's too foamy, sounds ridiculous but I've see a lot in my years in the beer business.
          Ed
          Blue Line Draft Systems
          www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

So what is the effect of this loss of head retention? Loss of flavor/carbonation?

Comment

Originally posted by edramshaw View Post
              sounds ridiculous but I've see a lot in my years in the beer business.
              I've seen it through years of keg parties.
              Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
              but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

It true beer geek form the head is where the volatile aroma's from the beer are captured and dispersed so it plays a role in releasing the full effect of the beer the way it was designed. It is also a presentation thing which can subconsciously affect your perception of the beer.
                Ed
                Blue Line Draft Systems
                www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Originally posted by aspinallar View Post
                  "Use a detergent designed specifically for beer glass cleaning. It must be low-suds, odour-free and non-fat. Do not use regular liquid household dish washing detergents for glassware. They are fat-based and will leave a slight oily film on the glass. This causes beer to go flat quickly. "
                  That seems a little ridiculous just to get a clean glass. I think this only makes a difference if you're not completely washing off the soap. I use regular dish soap and wash my glasses by hand. Just make sure when you rinse, that you can feel the glass get 'sticky' (i.e. removing all of the 'slick-feeling' soap).

The one thing that really does make a big difference in my case, is that I'll air-dry the glasses. If you dry the glasses with a towel, you'll just be re-contaminating the glass surface.

Dish-soap, hand wash, fully rinse the soap off, and air-dry - you'll have perfectly clean glass with no head issues.

Comment

i've had good results using this combination:
                    1. I've disabled the jet-dry from my dishwasher.
                    2. Fill it with beer glasses only.
                    3. Let the dishwasher go through a normal wash cycle including the heat-dry cycle.
                    4. Once Cool submerge the glasses in a seperate tub with Beer Clean Sanitizer.
                    5. Place glasses back into the dishwasher to air dry.

Comment

The reason for doing all of this is to acheive the belgian lacing on the glass. A perfectly clean glass will show foam rings sticking to the glass after every sip. Providing you drink from the same spot so the beer doesn't wash the glass of the foam rings.

Comment

Working...
                      X