Beverage Air BM23C for 50 Bucks!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beverage Air BM23C for 50 Bucks!!!

So I have a guy selling a SS Beverage Air BM23C for $50. He said it is about 10 years old and still cools (dont know how well) but did mention it may have a freon leak???

I am no expert but it sounds like a good deal for a project. Just wanted to get some help from everyone...lets say condensor is shot...What ball park figure would it cost to buy a new condensor? Rebuilt? I am in AZ near PHX.

Also, what should I look for, my thought is have the guy turn it on before I leave, its about an hour drive, with a glass of water and take my digital gauge to read the water. Any other things I should look for?

Thanks for any help this could be a great project.

Have him have it plugged in and on like you planned. If it is cold at all, it is worth far more than 50 bucks.

I'm betting you get it home, clean the coils and then post here about the great deal you got.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

I sure hope so...I am going tomorrow night to check it out. Any other tips?

Comment

if it has a freon leak... ask him if he's had it re-charged. These are sealed systems, so a leak means a refrigeration technician would need to find the leak, seal it, and re-charge the system. It's not like a car AC that can just be charged up. If it truly had a leak, and no one looked at it, it would be empty. If it's just not cooling enough, it may just be dirty, and the coils need cleaning, like psychodad said.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Saying that the unit "may" have a refrigerant leak is kind of like saying it "may" get hot here in Az in the summer. In other words, there must be a reason this guy said that. Take a look at the compressor/condenser area & see if someone has added service valves to the system. Those units do not have them from the manufacturer so if there are some it means someone has been into the sealed system.

If indeed the unit has a leak then it would be a couple hundred bucks to repair if it were a simple leak. If it is the evaporator that is leaking it most likely needs to be replaced & you could add another couple hours work & a couple hundred bucks just for the evaporator to that bill. You might end up throwing good money after bad.

THE ICEMAN
          Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 12-03-2009, 07:37 AM.
          My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
          "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
          -Dave Barry-
          "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
          Strong beer is the milk of the old."
          -Martin Luther-

Comment

Good info thanks!
            So I will go tonight and pull of the back plate and look for service valves. Hopefully I will just find a alot of dust in the back. Thanks again for the info.

Comment

OK so I bought the Kegerator for $50.00
              I had the guy turn it on about an hour before I got there and put a glass of water inside. I took a digital thermometer and it dialed in at 41 degrees at kegerators highest setting. I took it home and pulled off the fan cover to check the evap plate(or so I think that is what its called) and noticed two holes in a copper line that runs the middle of the coils.

Couple of questions- does this hold freon this middle line? Can I tack weld it to seal it or use another material? Any suggestions. Please help.
              Attached Files

Comment

I'm no refrigeration expert, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think that copper line/piece you're looking at has freon running through it. If there were two holes THAT big in your freon lines, your whole system would be completely emptied of freon in a matter of seconds, and there's no way the thing would get down to any temperature below ambient room temperature.

Hopefully Iceman will chime in

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
                  I'm no refrigeration expert, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think that copper line/piece you're looking at has freon running through it. If there were two holes THAT big in your freon lines, your whole system would be completely emptied of freon in a matter of seconds, and there's no way the thing would get down to any temperature below ambient room temperature.

Hopefully Iceman will chime in
                  Good Point! I do need to order a new coil line that goes to tower cooler. Now is the best way to clean the condenssor an air compressor and blown air?

Comment

Cubby is right, that tube is nothing to worry about. It's purpose is to provide a place for the temperature control's capillary tube to sense the evaporator temperature. The cap tube would slide inside of that tube. Given that there is no temp control appearing in the pic, I would presume someone has replaced the original control.

And yes, an air compressor would work fine for cleaning the condenser.

THE ICEMAN
                    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
                    -Dave Barry-
                    -Martin Luther-

Comment

As this capillary tub doesn't seem to bee in the original location that Iceman indicates, I'd look to see where it has been moved to to see if it is in an as effective location.

At any rate, I think your 50 dollar investment is not too bad. I assume this has all the couplers, the tower, faucet and whatnot. When you are satisfied it is cooling, get some new beer line and tap that puppy.

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
                        As this capillary tub doesn't seem to bee in the original location that Iceman indicates, I'd look to see where it has been moved to to see if it is in an as effective location.

At any rate, I think your 50 dollar investment is not too bad. I assume this has all the couplers, the tower, faucet and whatnot. When you are satisfied it is cooling, get some new beer line and tap that puppy.

Is the capllary tube a copper cablethat sides insidet the area. I do have a copper line with that runs from the tensioner and was just hanging around. I will post some photos.

Also yes has everything but Co2. I have a marvel kegerator right now just gonna clean this baby up and get it goint...Merry Christmas to me..

Comment

A capillary looks something like this one:

Although this is a very long one. Often there is a larger bulb at the end. Be careful if you move it around as breaking or kinking it will make it FUBAR.

Comment

Hmmm dont see anything like that on the kegerator..what does it do? Imagine I prob need to get one right?Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Not necessarily. Q: What is being used as a temperature control now?

THE ICEMAN
                              -Dave Barry-
                              -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
                              X