Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.5 inch vs 3 inch tower in regards to cooling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5 inch vs 3 inch tower in regards to cooling?

Hey guys! First post here and hope I am in the correct area in regards to my question.

Cooling a tower, does it matter if the tower is 2.5 or 3 inches in diameter?

I have the Summit Kegerator SBC490-BIFR under counter unit installed in my basement. I installed this unit around two years ago but due to work I have not really used it until the past few months.

When I installed it I used the 2.5" tower that came with the unit and mounted it on my granite counter top. And we did cut a 2.5 inch hole in the granite and have a straight shot into the kegerator.

Now after having issues with my Summit, same ones that everyone else has, not cooling, foam, etc...
    And I was wondering in regards to swapping out my 2.5 inch tower for a 3 inch tower? Would it make a difference in regards to cooling? I also have the Johnson Controls thermostat ordered along with 9 feet of tubing (Miller Lite) and will install a 12 volt computer fan to move the air, which I already have.

Any thoughts in regards to the tower diameter and cooling?
    Last edited by psychodad; 11-29-2009, 11:11 AM. Reason: Deleted e-bay link

I doubt you will see very little improvement if any at all by increasing your tower size. Just adding the cooling you are planning on I'd wager will be sufficient.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
      I doubt you will see very little improvement if any at all by increasing your tower size. Just adding the cooling you are planning on I'd wager will be sufficient.
      Thanks for answering, and that was my thinking as long as I get the return airflow back into the Summit. Again, thanks!

Oh, any thoughts on what to insulate the inside of my tower with? I have the ******* foam which is around 1/8 inch thick or maybe a touch more.

Comment

Originally posted by Localnet View Post
        Thanks for answering, and that was my thinking as long as I get the return airflow back into the Summit. Again, thanks!

Oh, any thoughts on what to insulate the inside of my tower with? I have the ******* foam which is around 1/8 inch thick or maybe a touch more.
        f-a-c-t-o-r-y is a bad word here?

Comment

A bigger tower makes it a little easier to insulate and get a tower cooler tube up to the shank but if you can fit all that plus still have space for the air to return then stick with what you have.

I found closed cell foam at an upholstery shop that is 1/2" thick and very dense, a lot like old school camping bed rolls. I replaced the original (not even 1/8") foam and made sure it was flush with the inside of the fridge. It made a noticeable difference in my first pour and how much condensation was on the tower.

Comment

jays0n,

Thanks, I have a 1" tube that will move the air into the tower. I went down and eyeballed the opening using a tape measure. It looks like I will be able to get maybe another 1/4" layer of foam in there without obstructing airflow while managing to get the airtube at least halfway into the tower, maybe a bit more without issues.

Do you think that will work?

Comment

I did the math, I figure that I will have .5 inches of room left in the tower for airflow return. Is that enough or should I think of splitting the air tube and running the beer flow tube through the airtube as others have done? Sorry for all of the questions guys, as I just want to do this once. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

Your 2 1/2" grainte countertop hole is the control point for air flow. A 3" inch tower would still be chocked at that point to under 2 1/2". A slab of grainte takes a long time to heat up or cool down so I assume you plan to run the insulation all the way from tower cap down into the keg box top, and not leave the grainte exposed to wick away the cold. If you do go with 1/2" insulation you will be cutting the tower inside dia. down to 1 1/2". In that 1 1/2" dia opening you have to run a 3/8" beer line and a 1" air tube. 1 1/2" dia. eguals 1.7671 area. One inch Dia. = .7854 area. And 3/8" Dia = .1104 area. So the one inch air tube plus the beer line takes up .8958 of the 1.7671 tower area available and leaves .8713 of area left open for return flow. So the exit flow area .8713 is larger than the air in tube .7854 area. Looks to me that if you ran the air and beer lines seperate there will ample room for return flow. I personally wouldn't put the beer line inside the air tube since you would cut the area of air flow in the tube from .7854 down to .6754 If you want to do it right the 1st time air hose half way up the tower sounds to me like you might be doing it again to get the hose right at the bottom touching the shank.
                Last edited by pvs6; 11-29-2009, 05:28 PM.

Comment

pvs6,

Hey thanks for the info, I tore everything apart last night and reread a bunch of posts. I think that I am going to go with a 3" tower more so for the heigth. I am picking up the micro matic one that stands 14" and has the stainless delivery tube to the shank. Another member here has the same Summit unit and he went with the 3" tower, cooled it, and used a block of wood to mount his tower to. I think I am going that route as it looked pretty darn good and also, If I read correctly, solved his condensation problem with the granite top.

Now I need to figure if I will need to make the hole bigger in the top of my Summit.

I'll check back and maybe take step by step pictures of my work in progress.

Mike
                  Last edited by Localnet; 11-30-2009, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Localnet, this might be the same guy your talking about but member name

tfvdw2at
                    Built a sweet looking stone counter top tower. He's got it dialed in and pouring smooth. He told me he would gladly share his experiences ans insights with those doing the same build, real nice guy. You may want to private message him because if you do it like he has his set up now you will likely just have to do it right once the 1st time.

Comment

Originally posted by pvs6 View Post
                      Localnet, this might be the same guy your talking about but member name

tfvdw2at
                      Built a sweet looking stone counter top tower. He's got it dialed in and pouring smooth. He told me he would gladly share his experiences ans insights with those doing the same build, real nice guy. You may want to private message him because if you do it like he has his set up now you will likely just have to do it right once the 1st time.
                      That's him! I just need to find a nice block of wood to run my router around and figure out what to do with the top of my kegerator. According to tfvdw, a 1 1/4" piece of PVC will fit right through the top of the Summit's f-a-c-t-o-r-y hole. I need to pull the Summit out from under the counter top to verify that.

And good idea on PM'ing him. I want to check all of my measurements first so that I don't waste his time.

Mike

Comment

Well, I broke all of the lines down, pulled the Summit out from under the counter and took my measurements and shot Greg an email, the guy with the granite counter. Well, we shall see and take it from here. Just awaiting the parts to arrive.

Mike

Comment

Good deal, my unit is apart right now too, adding a second faucet to the tower and setting it up for dual corny's. I miss my beer already! Post up some pics when you get going on it again.

Comment

Working...
                          X