No announcement yet.

Bought a new Danby, already nervous!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a new Danby, already nervous!!!

I ordered mine last night from ***************.com they are pretty knowledgeable and I'm sure they will help out with any issues. But I'm wondering if Danby has finally figured out there temp probe is causing problems for people who like cold beer and if they have done anything to fix this? I followed Cubby's advice and I'm finishing my tower cooler today (made from a PC fan / enclosure. I know that should help with foaming caused by warm temps in the tower.
    But I'm still concerned about the resistor mod. I can solder, so I guess I could open it up and make it a permanent change? I'm probably going to use the 100k resistor first (no solder). The room my kegerator is in gets hot because of direct sunlight during the day (windows are supposed to somehow block a lot of the heat, but it still gets hot ~80 during the day). And I will have it under my bar, but it will have at least 3-4" of open space around the entire config. I'm hoping that's enough.
    I really hope I DON'T have to do the mod, but I guess we shall see. So it sounds like I can order a new temp probe as a backup direct from Danby? I purchased this one because it was a decent price, the CO2 canister can sit outside (I have a 15lb tank already) and I believe I can fit at least two 1/6 kegs at a time. I have a dual faucet setup on the bar top, so I'm going to have to run pvc or something out of the top of the kegerator into the bar top in the bottom of the tower. Hence the reason for the tower cooler.
    I guess we'll see what happens. I've been using a used and abused Beverage air BM23 for years and it finally gave up the ghost.

Hello,
    Don't be nervous, exalt that at the very least you have a new project that will challenge you till you prevail and overcome, and at best will exceed your expections.
    How big is the fan in your cooling tower and how far is it from kegerator top to tower base? The neat thing about that under bar space is you can use as much insulation there as you want or need. I don't own this unit but when you get yours you might want to pop the cap on top of your tower and see what the insulation looks like. You might want to add a little more foam but consider air flow for tower cooling in to be fore restricting it too much.
    Again I don't have this unit and haven't had to make this mod. but if you can solder you can un-solder too. I've read alot of the past post and some with of the owners with this unit entertaint the idea that they would start smaller than the 100K resister but all of them seem to go to it in the end. Right, a resister is only 5 or 10 bucks at radio shack but go for the 100K,and work down from there. Solder it and dail the thermostat to the lowest and see what it does. Most people that I've read post from say 2nd beer temp. around 35 avg.
    Cool you have a bar! I just have an in home office with the kegerator sitting just off the desk, not quite arms reach but a short roll with the office chair. Damn you've got 2 taps and kegs and me only one. Well it's not a comptition Just something I can aspire to one day realize.
    I think you may have an un-realized oppertunity here. When you say the Co2 can sit outside. I ask where outside? in the back? If so that gives a lot of room for heat transfer from the compressor as long as the side space isn't too constricted. Or sit it on the side? better yet. Is your bar all ready constructed or can you make mod? You could insultate all top and back and side space execpty too the level of the compressor's heat exchange raditor and install a 24/7 computer fan to conduct the heat away on on side.

Comment

The tower cooler is a good start. But if you want to get anywhere near the years of service you got out of the BM-23 the resistor is a waste of time. Results with the resistor are mixed at best and the resistor doen't take care of the defrost cycle that many have issues with, the keypads that often fail and the overall low quality of the control board.
      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Just go for a seperate temperature controller unit and be done with it. Yeah ti will cost a few more bucks, but simple hookup, no soldering, no wiring schematics, just plug and play.

Obviously a tower cooler is step 1.

Comment

Working...
        X