Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a feeling I'm going to get laughed at...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a feeling I'm going to get laughed at...

But - I have an @home Guinness set up that works pretty well. I have a wedding in which the family wants to server Dos Equis Amber from a keg. I've kind of been tasked with providing most of the components (I bought a kegerator that came with all the components for dispensing C02 beers) and I'm wondering what will happen to the Dos Equis if I just run the nitro mix through it instead of trading in my beer-gas bottle for a C02 bottle. Any thoughts?

I'd keep my Nitro and just rent a co2 tank for the weekend or whatever.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Hmmmm...that is a good question. Since plain ol' air will dispense regular, non-nitro beers just fine (the only problem is the introduction of oxygen and "other" bad stuff after a couple of days), I see no reason why nitrogen wouldn't work just as well if not better than a typical party pump. But, there may very well be some other scientific reason why it won't work that I'm not aware of. Maybe Scott can chime in.

Otherwise, just go with psycodad's advice and pick up a rental CO2.

Comment

Not advisable. The ratio (25% CO2 / 75% N) that is available in a cylinder for the Guinness product is not designed for ales and lagers that have twice as much carbonation. Particularly for home dispense where the keg potentially could be coupled for weeks. Normally after three days the gas content will change such that the ale or lager will go flat.

If you are dispensing for an event which will transpire over a course of hours, this should not pose an issue.
        Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Zuhse View Post
          Not advisable. The ratio (25% CO2 / 75% N) that is available in a cylinder for the Guinness product is not designed for ales and lagers that have twice as much carbonation. Particularly for home dispense where the keg potentially could be coupled for weeks. Normally after three days the gas content will change such that the ale or lager will go flat.

If you are dispensing for an event which will transpire over a course of hours, this should not pose an issue.
          Pretty much what I figured. For the short term, it's not gonna be any worse than a party pump. Thanks Scott.

Comment

Working...
          X