Beer tower and faucet wrench question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer tower and faucet wrench question

I finished my first keg, and I'm attempting my first cleaning. For the time being, I'm using a small kit that came with my kegerator. The kit has a small squeeze bottle attatched to a hose with a threaded coupler on the end. I'm assuming this coupler attaches to the tower faucet.

So the first step is to unscrew the tower faucet. I use the small faucet wrench that came with the kit, attach it to the faucet, give it a twist and.... nothing. It won't budge. I push harder. Still nothing. At this point, I'm nervous that I'm going to break something. I give it one last tug and "pop" the wrench breaks! (the small tooth that fits into the faucet bent off). And of course, the faucet is still attached.

So... is this normal? Are these faucets usually attached this tightly? I'm not sure if I should buy another wrench and try again, or if I should just get another tower before I end up damaging my bar top trying to get this faucet off (I actually heard the wood creaking under the tower from the amount of torque I was applying to the faucet!).

which way did you try to turn the wrench? Looking at the faucet, from the front of the kegerator, you turn the wrench to the right. (clockwise)

Home Brew IPA

Comment

it's a reverse thread?! I'm pretty embarrassed if it is.

I actually thought of that as I was struggling, and I gave it a tug in the clockwise direction but there didn't seem to be any play at all. I need to take another look at it.

Comment

It isn't that it is a reverse thread, it is just that the piece that you are going to turn is away from you and the faucet you will want to hold stationary.
        Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
        but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that too. I went to go counterclockwise and it didn't move much when I did my first cleaning. I then tried going clockwise and it came right off.
          RIP - 1/2 Sam Adams, 1/2 O'Doul's, 1/6 Sam Adams Octoberfest, 1/6 Blue Point Octoberfest, Corny keg stout homebrew

On Tap- 1/2 Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

Comment

what psychodad said. It's not a reverse thread. It's just that you are tightening and loosening a part that is opposite of you. If you were standing on the other side of the bar, the rotation IS counterclockwise to loosen. If the threaded piece on the tower were stationary, and you were standing in front of the faucet, you would turn the actual faucet left to loosen and right to tighten.

If you were rotating your whole house to hook up the garden hose, it would seem like a reverse thread, also, but it's not.
            Last edited by cubby_swans; 09-15-2009, 11:22 AM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
              It isn't that it is a reverse thread, it is just that the piece that you are going to turn is away from you and the faucet you will want to hold stationary.
              ahhhh. Well, that explains a lot.

This is all new to me. I assumed the piece I was loosening was part of the faucet. I ordered a new faucet wrench. I'll be able to try again in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by vespaguy View Post
                ahhhh. Well, that explains a lot.

This is all new to me. I assumed the piece I was loosening was part of the faucet. I ordered a new faucet wrench. I'll be able to try again in a few days.
                The piece you turn with the wrench will rotate, but the actual faucet will not move.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Update: Wrench came in today. Twisted clockwise and the faucet came right off. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

OK dumb question, what do you do if you think you over tightened it? I have cleaned my lines 6 times already, but I think I overtightened them last time and I can't get it off >.<

ibtkb

Comment

@sxsignal

The tools I would use, in order would be...

channel locks... vice grip... angle grinder.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

GREAT! thnx! My neighbor had a set and it worked like a charm! (Note to self... next trip to HD or Lowes get a set)

Comment

You might want to check the rubber washer. If you had it that tight, you may have mangled it.

Comment

I can't imagine getting it so tight with a faucet wrench that it takes any more than that to get it loose.
                            Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                            but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Working...
                            X