A Topic about Stable Temperature and Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Topic about Stable Temperature and Fans

This topic and question was brought by people replying to my Haier Diary about fans in a kegerator or conversion. All have said you should have a fan running 24/7 to keep the temperature stable, I have several viewpoints I’d like to explore.

1) Most desktop fans were not designed to operate 24/7 and if used should be allowed to be turned off every so often. Computer fans were designed for 24/7 use, but the A/C adapters that are used may not be designed for 24/7 use. I was going to use an old cell phone charger but on the back it says, “For Overnight Use Only”, I had to look for another A/C adapter which I could use that could handle being on for extended period of time. Unless you make the right combination of fan and adapter would you running the fan 24/7 if it risked, at best a short circuit or at worst a fire?

2) Should the fans run when the compressor is off and no one is drinking beer? I can understand running a tower cooler 24/7 to keep the beer in the line chilled (especially if the tower isn’t fully insulated). I use a timer to turn off the unit for 2 separate hours in the early morning to prevent the unit from auto defrosting during drinking time. I noticed the 2 thermometers would read nearly the same after a few minutes and then slowly rise together after the compressor turned off, when it turned back on the difference between top and bottom temps was about 10 degrees without fans. I figure this would be enough to keep a full to 3/4 filled keg below 39 degrees without much fluctuation until dawn when the fan goes on and the second fan goes on when beer is consumed till the timer turns the unit off.

From what I've monitored the temps were pretty stable, keg didn't freeze or get too warm, not much of a foam problem. From what I've read through the forum, a fan is essential to keep the temperature stable in all the low end kegerators, I honestly I don't think you need to create a entire weather system in the kegerator, but you do need circulation, but how much is the question.

KB

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
    but you do need circulation, but how much is the question.
    From what I've found, my tower cooler provides enough circulation that it is all I need. Your mileage may vary.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
      From what I've found, my tower cooler provides enough circulation that it is all I need. Your mileage may vary.

My experience is exactly the same! My tower cooling fan provides enough circulation and it runs 24/7. I have a vissani with a computer fan in a box that has a hose that runs up the tower to the shank. I have also run my beer line inside the cooling hose. It just seems to me that by moving the cool air around in the fridge the compressor runs much less. The fan on a modern frost free refrigerator runs almost all the time and the fans on the best of the kegerators run all the time.
      "There's damsels in distress out there, and we got all this beer"
      -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

I used a power supply from some old work equipment. They were old broken 'price checker' scanners, like you see in Macy's (in fact, they ARE the ones that are in Macy's). So the power supply I used was designed to be plugged in all the time. I just have the one, running my tower cooler. It's been plugged in for nearly two years now. No fires.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I own an older Kenmore kegerator..

I mounted a small, (3 1/2" sq), 120VAC fan that is designed to run 24/7. It's hard-wired into the same incoming power that supplies the tower cooling fan. It's mounted near the bottom of the box and pointed up at a 45 degree angle blowing towards the keg.

BIG difference. Before the fan, the temp in the top was 42 and 39 in the bottom. Now the temp is 34 degrees throughout the box.

Liquid temp is 37 degrees. There is no longer any frost on the colplate.

Perfect.
          Hail to the Redskins!

Comment

Originally posted by scriptohio View Post
            My experience is exactly the same! My tower cooling fan provides enough circulation and it runs 24/7. I have a vissani with a computer fan in a box that has a hose that runs up the tower to the shank. I have also run my beer line inside the cooling hose. It just seems to me that by moving the cool air around in the fridge the compressor runs much less. The fan on a modern frost free refrigerator runs almost all the time and the fans on the best of the kegerators run all the time.
            Same here, tower cooling blower does double duty. Has run 24/7 from Jan 2007. Blower draws a little over .1 amp from a 1.2 amp wall transformer and is just warm to the touch.

Comment

You should be fine with a cell phone charger so long as it's plugged in to an outlet that's in good shape (cover on, not loose, holds the prongs tightly). If it doesn't get hot to the touch you're in good shape. The fan should be fine too. It's operating in cool air which should make it last a long time. Also, on the remote chance that everything went wrong and the fan caught fire it's either going to consume all the oxygen in the fridge and extinguish itself or melt your CO2 hose which will also extinguish the fire. No worries.

Comment

Thanks for replys

Thanks all for responses, from consensus (other then build a tower cooler), fan should be fine running 24/7 in unit and just make sure the AC adapter doesn’t get too hot. I started this because lot of guys out there aren’t tinkerers and want simple solutions that don’t require wire strippers soldering guns and voltmeters.
                A properly designed and operational tower cooler should take the super cold air from the bottom of the unit and use it to cool beer line and shank, then return warm air to the unit and create circulation. But those that don’t have the electrical and mechanical skills can make do with a fully insulated tower and standard desktop fan.

KB

Comment

Originally posted by Skinsfan1311 View Post
                  There is no longer any frost on the colplate.

Perfect.
                  I'm interested in this. Do you mind sharing a picture to show how you mounted the fans? I'm not sure what you mean by "near the bottom of the box"

Thanks!
                  Homebrewer? Check out http://www.homebrewchatter.com

Comment

If you have proper circulation in the fridge it shouldn't matter where you mount your tower cooling fan because there should not be "super cool" air at the bottom of the unit.

Beware of AC-powered fans or blowers. I bought the Dayton 15CFM, 120VAC, 0.3Amp blower from MM and it generated too much heat for Haier 1/2 bbl unit. I had 6" of ice form on my evaporator plate in about 6 weeks, after a year of ice-free operation without the blower. Replaced the blower with a 12VDC PC fan and replaced the tower insulation with thicker foam from beer-can-coolies with much better results.

Comment

Working...
                    X