Kegs Transitioned from party pump to CO2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegs Transitioned from party pump to CO2

I had a 1/4 keg of Yuengling for my party and we didn't kick it..... Instead of wasting beer, I unhooked the party pump and connected the keg to my kegerator with co2. Now I realize that you are not "supposed to" take a keg that has been tapped using a party pump and then place it on co2. I know that with the party pump you introduce oxygen into the keg. But, out of curiosity, has anyone had success with doing this and not ruining the beer?? I woke up this morning and poured a little from my kegerator and it poured and tasted fine. Will it stay "good"?? Any thoughts?
    HOME OF THE 6 TIME WORLD CHAMPION PITTSBURGH STEELERS

It'll be ok for a little while but it certainly won't last as long as a keg that was never on "air". My guess is that you've got a week or so before you start noticing the taste going away.

My advice is to have a few friends over ASAP and get them to help you kick the keg!

Comment

Oxidation won't happen overnight.

This is Labor Day weekend. You should be able to kill that thing before Tuesday with a few friends and neighbors.
      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Be sure to post how long it goes. It would be interesting to know how long it lasts. CO2 is heavier than air so if you purged it a few times you could possibly get most of the air out. Now whether it would make a difference in slowing or stopping the oxidation, I don't know.
        It's not what you do that's important, it's who you do it with!

My baby!
        http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-e...light=gamecock

Comment

drink it fast! As long as it tastes drinkable to you, then it is.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Thanks for the replies.....I will update you.....

Comment

The NFL kickoff weekend starts Thursday. I'll bet you'll be able to drink that through Sunday just fine.

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

Comment

I was once given a 1/2 barrel of Yuengling that had been on a party pump. It was 1/3 to 1/2 full.

Beer wasn't good but it was drinkable. It lasted about a week.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kpt42;36517Beer wasn't good but it was drinkable. It lasted about a week.[/QUOTE]

Haven't found many that weren't "drinkable!!!!!" But what does that say about me? LOL!!!
                  It's not what you do that's important, it's who you do it with!

My baby!
                  http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-e...light=gamecock

Comment

Originally posted by fnmocurtis View Post
                    Haven't found many that weren't "drinkable!!!!!" But what does that say about me? LOL!!!
                    Well it was approaching flat. But the price was right. I did invite anyone to come help me drink it.

Comment

Update

Well it has been a week. I am no beer tasting expert, but I had one last night and it was ok. I am not sure if I actually detected a change or if I am fooling myself b/c there is technically supposed to be a change in taste, carbonation, etc....

Can't drink it that fast!! I tend to go back in my shell for a bit after a long weekend of heavy drinking. My way of trying not to drink too much I guess...if that makes any sense!!

Any takers on the over/under number of days before spoilage?? Seems to be a week by most comments thus far....

Comment

I almost hate to tell you the taste I think you are going to find when it does start to go as I don't want you to convince yourself you taste it.

But oxidation damage should begin to taste like wet cardboard. But I think you still have a long way to go. Until then, there is a lot of football left in this weekend, drink up.

Comment

Working...
                        X