How to tell if beer is too flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell if beer is too flat?

I am accustomed to drinking Sierra Nevada out of the bottle. Now that I got my kegerator setup it only made sense that I break it in with my favorite ale. I know that beer off the tap tastes different but how can I be sure it isn't too flat? I have it poured in a pint glass and can see the periodic bubbles rising from the bottom making little trails and what not... does that mean it is ok? It doesn't taste bad it just tastes so much smoother than out of the bottle. Is there a test or something to check for proper carbination? Thanks for all the help

Sierra Nevada is brewed differently for draft than the bottled version. The hops are not as spicy and the taste comes across much smoother and maltier. The Alcohol is toned down from 5.6% to 5%. You will see that if you check your Keg cap. Not entirely sure why the different versions but I prefer the bottle for the extra hop bite.

Sounds like your system is fine.

Comment

I wish they would hurry up and keg their Torpedo.... I'd be all over that... and their Celebration, too.
      Last edited by cubby_swans; 08-14-2009, 07:32 AM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I didn't know that they don't sell kegs of their Celebration. That was my choice for a winter beer this year. I guess that I will have to find something else.

Comment

I purchased a celebration tap handle anticipating getting a keg. Tell me it's not true.
          No CRAP! on tap

Comment

Here in the SW PA, we get Celebration in Sixtel kegs. It is by far one of the best IPAs they put out. It is so good, I always order 2 kegs. I have not tried Torpedo on draft yet, had it in bottle and really liked it.

Comment

The keg store here in LA has told me they do get Celebration ale in 1/2 barrels during the holidays.

Where did you hear different?
              "Stay thirsty my friends"
              - The most interesting man in the world.

Comment

For the last 2 years I have gotten Sixtels thru my local distributor.

I would contact SN and check on their distribution to your area. I have contacted them in the past and they respond rather quickly. I would think being in CA you would have better access than I would.

Comment

I got it from Cubby, but I think that I misread his post. Cool, it looks like they do keg it after all. He was just saying that he wishes that they would keg Torpedo.

Comment

I'm brewing the torpedo clone in this month's BYO as soon as I kill the pale ale I'm drinking on now, the double IPA that I'm refilling that keg with and the pale ale with glacier hops that I'm brewing this weekend.
                    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Working...
                    X