Can't figure out foaming issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't figure out foaming issue

I know there are 3457834534534587345 threads about foam issues, but I can't seem to figure my issue out yet.

First off, I've had my Danby kegerator for over a year now with about 10 kegs through it since then.

Specs are as follows:

Resistor mod with relocated temp sensor to the front
    Blower motor for tower cooling
    5' of 3/16" beer line
    Display temp is set at 36*
    Beer temp is 34-36 after being poured
    Co2 set between 10-14psi
    Beer is Harpoon UFO

I've had great results with the settings in the past, and have had zero foam issues after I installed a blower motor for tower cooling.

Over the last two kegs I've had a really hard time not getting the first pour to be mostly foam. The pours after that are fine, crisp and cool. If I wait 15 min between pours, the symtoms happen again. The tap is clean, and the lines, fitting, tap ect are clean as well. I honestly can't figure it out, and I've tried all different pressure settings with no change in results. I've gone through all the usualy checks and can't find what the problem is.

I do seem to notice that small bubbles form in the line and settle at the top of the tower. The bubbles are minimal, but it's something to note. I could try changing the beer line, as it's the original, but it is clean.

Any ideas from the experts??

Simple. Air bubbles in the beer line means there's not enough C02 pressure. The beer is loosing carbonation. Try lengthening the beer line to 8 feet and set the pressure to 14 psi and don't mess with it.

Comment

Agreed. The small "air bubbles" are actually co2 bubbles forming because you dont have enough co2 pressure applied to keep it in the beer. After you pour the first beer it gets rid of the co2 in the line and results are non foamy pours. after you let it sit long enough than the bubbles have enough time to form again causing your foaming. As hophead said get a longer line (5ft is usually not long enough) and up the PSI to stop this.

Comment

strange that I've never had these issues before. Is it because of the beer type that I'm required to run a pressure higher than 14psi?

Comment

When was the last time you calibrated your thermometer?

Five feet of 3/16" line @ 14 PSIG will result in approx. 120 oz. / min. flow speed. This is actually slower than the industry standard of 128 oz. / min. If you need a slower flow speed, lengthen the line. Do not expect this mod to reduce your foam issue. A slower flow will assist you in dispensing your beer if your system is not balanced.

If your faucet is dripping, likely the seat on the faucet shaft either has debris lodged at his seat or it is defective. Disassemble your faucet and inspect. Repair as necessary.
          Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Ok...here is an update.

Last night I went through EVERYTHING again and cleaned it. I completely took apart my coupler and faucet, soaked and scrubbed everything. I didn't notice anything dirty as I clean it regularly, but did it just to narrow down my culprit. I then re-lubed all the orings and seals with the appropriate grease.

The thermometer was calibrated this morning using an ice bath, and I didn't have to adjust it at all. My temp sensor for the kegerator is showing 36 deg while in a glass of water, same as the thermometer. Beer poured temp is still 38 deg.

Nothing is dripping or leaking so I can eliminate issues with bad seals or clogged parts.

As a re-visit to the bubble issues, small bubbles form after the pour and the quanity of them only occupies a 1/2" length of hose right before the faucet. Bubbles do not continously form in the line. Foam goes away after the first pour, but happens again with pours happening after about 15min.

The beer taste is crisp and cold. I do not notice any funky taste, or flat or over pressurized beer.

Perhaps it is the beer itself? This is my first time with UFO. I've tried pressures from 8-18psi with no change. I'm stumped on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastsc92 View Post
              strange that I've never had these issues before. Is it because of the beer type that I'm required to run a pressure higher than 14psi?
              That is very possible. not every beer has the same amount of carbonation. Your going to have to find out what the carbonation level of the beer your using is to set the PSI right on.

Comment

Working...
              X