Removing Oetiker clamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Oetiker clamps

Is there a trick to removing these things? I recently redid all the gas and beer tubing on my 5-keg fridge, taps, and CO2 distribution system, and by far the hardest part was getting these clamps off.

Unfortunately I let my beer shop guy convince me to use the automotive screw clamps and now I'm going back and redoing it with Oetikers, but I plan to replace the beer lines annually, and for this time next year I'd really like to know The Secret...

The 'Search' function is your friend.

Check out this thread... Removing an Oetiker (stepless) clamps

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

You don't need clamps of any kind on the beer lines. I've never used any and never had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
        The 'Search' function is your friend.

Check out this thread... Removing an Oetiker (stepless) clamps

THE ICEMAN
        Actually I think I typo'd Oetiker when I searched.

Thanks for the link. I was doing something similar to the "chisel" method, using a spare sharp-point center punch to open the crimped part a little, then twisting it open with an old pair of needlenose that I sharpened the tips on.

But it's good to know that the real Oetiker tool will make this easier, I ordered one along with my clamps.

Comment

!

Originally posted by Kpt42 View Post
          You don't need clamps of any kind on the beer lines. I've never used any and never had a problem.
          LOL!

Beer shower anyone?

The real Oetiker tool is definitely the way to go, and there are several ways to rip them off with it!

Comment

Originally posted by BrewGuru View Post
            LOL!

Beer shower anyone?
            Funny, I've never had a beer shower in three years of owning my kegerator.

Please explain how you think a beer line is going to magically fly off a nipple or shank.

Comment

Oh, you were serious...that's interesting.

Physics. Beer systems are pressurized.

Perhaps you've never run a high enough pressure to cause a leak or have a hose come off, but believe me, it happens. Perhaps your shank and your tailpiece are over sized and you really force your tubing on. Perhaps you've just gotten lucky.

Needless to say, it's bad advice to tell someone not to use clamps...like telling someone it's okay to not leave the lid on the blender...it might be okay in the rare case, but for the vast majority of applications, stick to the spec.

When it happens, it usually results in a big mess, and often, someone is not around to immediately deal with it - these systems are at their highest point of strain when the faucet is closed and the system is at rest.

Comment

Working...
              X