last 1/4 of keg always freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• last 1/4 of keg always freezing

sorry to make a new thread about a old topic, but I have a question/theory. when using a refrigerator I think there needs to be a decent amount of stuff in it to make sure its thermostat is working and you don't freeze that last bit of beer.

so please tell me if I am wrong or not if thinking about putting a bucket of water in with the keg so as to not have the last bit of beer freeze? or is a pc fan enough to keep it unfroze?

Although your theory of adding mass does help to stabilize the temp, it sounds like you have other issues at work here. What is your beer temp when the keg is full? If you go the 'add mass' route, I would suggest using salt water (or another freeze resistant liquid) in closed containers to eliminate evaporation.

Comment

both the 1/4 and 1/6 barrels stay at 38* (chug test) for weeks all the way till the last bit, then they drop temp in a day or two.

Comment

Iceman will likely have a better opinion of the matter, but I don't think that a fridge is going to get colder simply from there being less beer in the keg. There has to be some other problem.
        Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
        but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

ok slow at work. here is my thoery: (when the temp probe is on the cooling plate) if the plate gets down to its temp the probe shuts the flow down to the plate, if there is food (beer) in the frige that has also cooled to this temp the probe will hold this temp constant for a while and make the reeding from the probe an acurate reeding of the friges temp. / if there is no food (beer) or littile food (beer) the cooling plate will warm up quickly since there is no food (beer) to hold the energy away that wants to enter the frige via the back wall air leaks ect. so the temp probe keeps kicking on cooling the plate meanwhile the small amount of food (beer) is getting its you know what frozen because its cought in the middle of this ride of keeping the cooling plate the "correct temp". soooo if I keep a couple of 2 liter bottles (or more?)next to the cooling plate in the frige all the time then the correct temp will be maintained throuout the kegs volume.

maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by iracmine View Post
            or is a pc fan enough to keep it unfroze?
            Are you using one now? Or is there any air circulation in there? Cold air will seek the lowest level so it needs to be mixed up. It takes about 28 deg to freeze beer.

Comment

trying one now.

will let you know results. just seeing if anyone has already been down this road before so i dont have to wast time and or beer.

Comment

Working...
              X