Air in line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air in line

I bought a used Marvel kegerator and tapped my 1st keg. All I'm getting is foam and I see alot of air in the beer line. I've tried adjusting the gas pressure from 9 to 12 lbs. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get some real beer to drink. I'm desparate

Let us know your temperature, the length & size of your tubing off the tap, what beer do you have & how long it has been since you loaded it into the kegerator - the keg has to have time to settle.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Iceman's right on. Chances are the keg is a little too warm and agitated. You may see an improvement if you raise the gas pressure to 14-16 PSI and let it sit there for an hour or so. The air in the line is the carbonation coming out of the beer. At the ideal beer temp of 38 degrees, you need at least 12 PSI for most beers, sometimes a little more depending on the beer. The warmer the beer the more pressure you need to keep it from pouring foamy and going flat.

Comment

Air in line

The temp is 38 degrees inside the kegerator. Both my beer line and gas line are 5 ft long. The beer is Budweiser and it's been sitting for 3 days. I have the pressure set at 12 psi now and I'm still getting alot of air and foam coming out.

Comment

Air in line

Also, my beer line is 3/16".

Comment

Temperature

Measure the temperature of your beer after pouring two glasses. It can take several days to get down to 38°.
            SEAN
            I cool my tower with Beer.
            http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

Co2 is breaking out of solution because of a temperature issue somewhere. Like Bonefish said make sure your liquid temp is at 38, the temperature inside the machine is irrelevant.

Does this model have a blower hose to keep your tower and faucet cold? Even so your second or third pour should have cooled the tower down and you'll get less foaming. If this is not the case i'd make sure your thermometer is calibrated.

If you are still getting foam after that i'd say something is agitating your beer. I would do a thorough cleaning of everything, disasemble your faucet and coupler and seeing as this is a used machine I would replace the beer line, faucet gasket and coupler gasket.

Comment

Check your probe washer. If it has a leak air is mixing with beer at the coupler. Also check to see if the line is pinched any where.

Comment

Air in line

Thanks for all the tips guys. I've checked all my connections and the temps. Everything seems good but still am only able to get foam out of the keg. I took the coupler apart today and checked it out, it looked good but I had the same issues after I put it back on. I just ordered anew coupler, hopefully that will solve it. If not I guess I'm out of options!

Comment

We'll...

...get it fixed. What is your temp, and how do you know?
                    SEAN
                    I cool my tower with Beer.
                    http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

Hi Guys

I am having the exact problem, I have tried everything.
                      I am using a twin tap font flooded with frozen glycol, the glycol and beer lines run in the same insulated pipe so the beer is very cold all the way to the bar (to the point of when I clean it buy blasting a water based cleaner through the lines it freezes up and wont come out) The beer in the fridge is at 1 degree Celsius (33.8 f) and the beer font frozen over. So every thing from the fridge to the tap is real cold. If I turn the glycol pump up enough I can actually get ice out of the tap.
                      I have replaced lines, couplings, fittings, you name it.
                      I have tried varying temperatures and co2 pressures but still gas forms in the lines.

Does any one have any ideas.??? I am so sick of wasting so much beer in foam.

Steve

Comment

Air in line

Problem SOLVED. I replaced the coupler with a new one. As soon as I retapped the keg I saw the beer line begin to fill with beer and not air bubbles. I turned on the tap and actually got a steady flow. Brought a huge smile to my face. Thanks again for all the tips !

Comment

Working...
                        X