Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxious First Timer

Hey folks,

I've got a new dual-tap Sanyo Summit (BC-1206-2), purchased from MM. Its my first time using a kegerator, and I just tapped two 1/6 barrels - a Sunshine Wheat and a 1554 from New Belgium. These kegs had been sitting in the fridge for 18 hours at 38F (measured with a normal fridge thermometer).

Everything seemed to go well during the setup/tapping except when I engaged the keg tapper valve, beer did not immediately flow into the beer line. I had to open the faucet on the tower to get the beer flowing initially. Not sure if this is normal. Also, I had the fridge open for a while as I went through the tapping process, so I'm sure I brought the internal temp up (yes, I'm a slow newbie )

I've only gotten foam so far in my first two mugs on both kegs. PSI is set to 18 which is what the brewery recommended when I called them. I live in Denver, so elevation may play into that.

Does anyone see anything glaringly wrong from what I've described? Should I just show more patience and assume the kegs need to cool/settle again? I'm thirsty!

I'd venture that New Belgium told you 18 psi at 45 degrees. At 38 degrees, you will want to lower that pressure. I'd go with raising the temperature to 45 (and maybe lowering the pressure a bit) to enjoy these ales the way the brewer intended.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I called the brewery back and they recommend a temperature range of 36-40F and a PSI range of 16-20 with 18 being ideal.

I'll try raising the temp from 38 to 40F to see if it balances better.

Comment

Interesting... All the New Belgium bottled products I recall having said on the label to serve at 45 degrees. Perhaps they pasteurize the bottled beers and are worried about the kegs spoiling. Although 45 is where I keep my kegged ales with no problem.
        Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
        but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

How long is your beer line? With pressure adjusted that high for elevation, you may want a longer line to slow the flow down. I'd get a 10 footer, and try that out. Then if the beer flows too slowly, you can trim off a foot or two to achieve the desired flow rate.

Also, you state that the temperature is 38 based on a normal fridge thermometer. You need to get the temperature of the beer. Pour a beer, chug it. Pour another beer, and take the temp of that beer with a calibrated thermometer. THAT is what needs to be 38.

It is completely normal for the beer not to enter the beer line initially until you open the faucet. There's air in that line. With the faucet closed, there's no where for it to go until you open the faucet.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

what came of your 1554???

Comment

Working...
            X