Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can not remove coupler from keg

Hello,
    I'm new to the group. I got a new two product tap tower for my birthday. One of the kegs is now empty. It was the first keg with my new coupler. I had never used this type coupler before. It is the D System - Ergo Lever Handle #7485S.

This keg has been empty for a few weeks. Every few days I go down and try to twist it off, but I keep thinking I'm going to break the handle.

I found this thread that has me thinking I attached the coupler to the keg wrong in the first place (but boy did the beer taste great!): http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-e...remove+coupler

Please, any help. I'm even starting to wonder if I'm turning it the right way!

Thank you,
    -Stym

Hi there, welcome to the forums.

Keg Couplers can be extremely difficult to remove, especially if they have been locked in very tightly!

The correct procedure to decouple a keg with the ergo lever handle is to lift up on the handle, which automatically releases the lever for the probe, and pull up. After that the whole coupler should be rotated counterclockwise to remove it.

Sometimes if the coupler is stuck, they can require some amount of force to remove... Cup your hands slightly with your left hand below your right and clap - this is about the action and position required to remove a stuck coupler, you want to hit the upper right 'handle' portion of the coupler with your right hand, pusing towards the left, and the 'gas in' line portion of the coupler with your left hand, pushing to the right, causing the counterclockwise twisitng motion you need to remove the coupler.

If it doesent come off with the first two hits or so, try a little more force, and consider using some keg lube on your coupler if it is getting on in age. MM sells some great stuff that has no taste, no odor, and will keep your seals in great condition. It's called "pump and probe lube" but can be used on most any seal in a draft beer setup. Found it - MM part FT101L.

Comment

Beer becomes like glue if it dries. Pour tepid water over the coupler to attempt to soften this 'glue'.

Be careful where this probe lube is utilized. It is designed to be used on seals that do not come in contact with the beer. O-rings on the probe, pump o-rings, etc.

Even though it is food grade, beer can have a reaction to it and potential you may have a quality issue.
      Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

YES! Thanks guys. Guru, you are the man. I hit it about 4 times just like you said and off it came.
        Off to the Liquor store!
        -Stym

Comment

Hot water worked for me, thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
          X