Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat died!!

Hi all...
    Long story short, I hope. I have a True TDD-1. I was unable to pour a beer and opened up the door to find ice on the condenser coils and the box that protects it. I unplugged my unit, let it defrost and called True. Even though my kegerator is out of warranty they were still very kind and helped me troubleshoot. It seems that the thermostat went south. A thermostat is on order and the True recommended service place will call to set up an appointment when the part comes in (hopefully today!!) While moving the keg and co2 out to troubleshoot I noticed that my beer sounded "slushy" in the keg. Since the defrosting of the kegerator my keg has been untapped. I have kept it in the kegerator. I plug in the kegerator for a couple hours at a time, before unplugging it for several hours at a time. So, here is my question....
    What do I need to do to try and salvage my keg once my kegerator is back up and running. Thanks in advance! I need all the help I can get, as this is my first post, first kegerator and first keg!!

I don't think there is anything special to do once you're up and running again. Untapping it was the best thing you could have done short of moving it to another fridge. Keep it more on the colder side than the warmer side to prevent bacterial growth. You might find it easier to get an outlet timer to control the on/off sequences until you can get the stat replaced (great idea from another thread). Just make sure it can handle the amperage.

Comment

? for Iceman

I ordered my replacement thermostat for my True TDD-1. Most everyone I have talked to when ordering the part thinks that this is something I can do on my own..basically unplug old thermostat and plug in new one. I located the True service manual online and it does seem to be plug and play. To those with a refrigeration background, is this something I can do on my own? Are there precautions that I need to take? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Comment

Originally posted by domefoam View Post
        I ordered my replacement thermostat for my True TDD-1. Most everyone I have talked to when ordering the part thinks that this is something I can do on my own..basically unplug old thermostat and plug in new one. I located the True service manual online and it does seem to be plug and play. To those with a refrigeration background, is this something I can do on my own? Are there precautions that I need to take? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!
        Piece of cake. The only tricky part can sometimes be putting the cap tube (the sensor) back in that tiny little tube in the evaporator. They don't usually give you a lot of room to work with it. Try to keep from bending the cap tube too much & take your time.

THE ICEMAN
        My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
        -Dave Barry-
        "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
        Strong beer is the milk of the old."
        -Martin Luther-

Comment

I will be careful! Thanks!

Comment

The new thermostat is installed (hopefully correctly!!). I have my new La Crosse wireless thermometer in place as well. The thermometer is a dual, which will monitor my air temp as well as my liquid temp. For the liquid temp I have my sensor in a jar of rubbing alcohol. The air temp gauge is sitting on top of my keg until I can get some velcro tape to mount it on the interior wall somewhere...any suggestions???
            Last edited by domefoam; 10-10-2008, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I need to replace the thermostat on my TDD-1 as well. Can someone point me to a replacement guide? I'd like to know how to replace it before I start taking my fridge apart.

Thank you!

Comment

Wireless Thermometer

Hey Domefoam,

Does that wireless actually transmit through the kegerator with the door shut.... (i.e. can you just walk by and check out the temps without opening the door?) If so....sweet!!!!!!!!!
                "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
                Sinatra

Comment

I have a wall-mounted indoor/outdoor thermometer and I placed the outdoor remote sensor in my kegerator and it seems to be transmitting fine. I can look at the temp while upstairs (where its mounted on the wall) and the kegerator is downstairs on the other side of the house. Works pretty slick.

PA

Comment

Working...
                  X