Hops/Alcohol Content Help Shelf Life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hops/Alcohol Content Help Shelf Life?

The story: My local liquor store has a 1/2bl keg of Arrogant Bastard Ale (Stone Brewing Co.) that he thinks is 2-3months old. He tapped and sampled it and said that it still tastes good. He said he is willing to discount and sell it to me for $140-150 if I want. I have had it before, and intend to sample it on my way home today to make sure it tastes like I remember.

I had heard a rumor that high hop and alcohol content sometimes allows a beer to keep its flavor longer, and wondered if there is any truth to it. This beer (for those who have tried) has both in high amounts, so if its true about any beer, it should be for Arrogant Bastard. It may taste good today, but I'm worried about 2-3 months down the road - I don't intend to plow through a keg of 7.2% beer too quickly, lol. Any info is appreciated. Thanks and cheers!

Oh, and anyone happen to know temp/psi for Arrogant Bastard?
    Last edited by djspray; 10-03-2008, 11:58 AM.

You will be more than fine and that guy shouldn't even need to discount it. You are one lucky #%@$&. Hops and alcohol both act as a preservative. This is actually how India Pale Ales or IPA's came about. The English were shipping beer to the troops in India and the beer spoiled before it got there. They made it a little stronger and added more hops to ensure its safe arrival and here we have it. As for the Arrogant Bastard you will have the pleasure of tasting this beer as it changes depending on how long it takes to finish. Some of the malty sweetness will fall back over time and let the hops show a different side. The background malts will develop dried fruit tastes such as raisin and currants, although they will be not as noticeable as would be in an even maltier style like a barleywine. The hops will loose some of its pungency that you get when have a fresh Arrogant B, over time the citrusy notes tend to fall back too which allows some of the grassier characteristics to dominate. I'd get myself down there and take this guy up on a deal before someone else does.
    Ed
    Blue Line Draft Systems
    www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Dude. I'm way jealous. Maybe you send me a growler of it to help you get through it?

I wouldn't worry about the keg going bad for a few more months as long as it was stored in a cooler, but with Arrogant Bastard, a lot of the flavor IS the hops. Usually the hop flavor will start to diminish after a few months in bottles that are stored at cellar/room temp. This is slowed down considerably by keeping the beer stored at fridge temps. So again, as long the keg was stored in a cooler, I would JUMP ALL OVER a keg of Arrogant Bastard for $140 quicker than.... than... I don't know... something really freaking fast. Seriously. I have one lonesome bottle of Arrogant Bastard left that will probably be consumed this weekend. Last night I had a bottle of Stone Ruination. I had to order mine from California, so with S&H I ended up paying ~$10 a bottle for it.

Here were my orders...

Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 (2)
      Port 2nd Anniversary
      Port Hop 15
      Stone Ruination
      Stone Arrogant Bastard (2)
      The Bruery Barrel Aged Levud's
      Alesmith Speedway Stout (2)
      Pliny The Elder (4)
      Blind Pig (4)

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by edramshaw View Post
        This is actually how India Pale Ales or IPA's came about. The English were shipping beer to the troops in India and the beer spoiled before it got there. They made it a little stronger and added more hops to ensure its safe arrival and here we have it.
        I learned recently that this is the biggest myth of all in beer lore. So big it's perpetuated by many beer labels themselves.

IPA: Incredibly Poor Article « Zythophile

Myth 4: George Hodgson invented IPA to survive the long trip to India « Zythophile

I'd get myself down there and take this guy up on a deal before someone else does.
        HELL YES!
        Last edited by cubby_swans; 10-03-2008, 11:41 AM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Ok, ok, guys. I'm buying it for sure. Last night the guy said their list was $171, but said to call back because it was old. Today, Steven (my new best friend) said their list is $160, but would knock 10-15 off. He said he had never had it before, so probably didn't know what he had. He was like "I sampled it, and it still has good head. It must have a lot of hops in it." I responded, "Yeah, that sounds right."

Any ideas on temp/psi? Probably not as cold as the 38 I had my Miller Lite at. I don't have a working tower cooler in yet, but the warmer temp might not cause as much of a problem.
          Last edited by djspray; 10-03-2008, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Criminy. List is $160?!?!?! I would have this in my kegerator ALL the time. I hate where I live.

I would serve it around 42. As far as psi, you need to ask them what the carbonation level of the beer is. This is all I could find for them as far as contacting them.. I would ask to speak to one of the brewers (John Egan is the lead brewer).

If you have any questions - give us a call at 760-471-4999

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Also, per Stone's website, Arrogant Bastard is 7.2% alcohol... so you won't get as think as you drunk you would.

Stone Brewing Co. - The Beers

ARGHH... this gets more and more depressing the more I look at this website. $132+tax for a 1/2 barrel of Stone from the brewery!!!!!
              Last edited by cubby_swans; 10-03-2008, 12:02 PM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Ended up talking him down to $140. Got it hooked up Friday night, and it is still every bit as Bastardly as I remember.

Still trying to figure out temp/pressure. It's pouring @ 40F and 12psi with over half foam. I've been having to use a pitcher, then letting foam die in the fridge. Evidently the brewery division at Stone don't answer the phones or return messages on Friday's. I want their job.

Comment

Working...
                X