Type of beer glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of beer glass?

Well after doing a little research on different beer glasses, I was suprised to see how many different types there are. Long necks, Short necks, pilsner glasses, mugs, ect. After drinking a beer from my friends laser etched beer glass, I didn't want to look back. I could visually see how much more carbonation was being released in his laser etched (inside, at the base) beer glass vs. just any regular mug. I then decided to order a set of Samuel Adams special glasses with similar etching and have enjoyed them. What kind of glasses do you guys usually drink out of, or would recommend me to use. I, personally like light beers such as bud light and the occasion blue moon. Do you guys also know of any bud light or any other beer brand glasses with laser etching at the base? Thanks and hope to hear your input.

Originally posted by KyVang View Post
    Well after doing a little research on different beer glasses, I was suprised to see how many different types there are. Long necks, Short necks, pilsner glasses, mugs, ect. After drinking a beer from my friends laser etched beer glass, I didn't want to look back. I could visually see how much more carbonation was being released in his laser etched (inside, at the base) beer glass vs. just any regular mug. I then decided to order a set of Samuel Adams special glasses with similar etching and have enjoyed them. What kind of glasses do you guys usually drink out of, or would recommend me to use. I, personally like light beers such as bud light and the occasion blue moon. Do you guys also know of any bud light or any other beer brand glasses with laser etching at the base? Thanks and hope to hear your input.

For this type of beer, I use a standard pint glass. Almost any glass allows you to enjoy the aroma of the beer while you drink it, which greatly enhances the flavor. Your sense of smell is an integral part of your taste. Drinking out of a bottle eliminates this part of enjoying the beer. Even at a bar, I ask for a glass when ordering bottled beer. I use a New Belgium snifter when at home. It helps to concentrate these aromas in your nose while you're drinking.

I 'permanently borrowed' mine from a bar some time ago... but they look like the one's on this link, just different logos... I drink several different kinds of beers, and without fail, this is the glass that I seem to enjoy them out of most...

La Petite Brasserie - Because Beer Matters: The New Belgium Glass
    Last edited by cubby_swans; 09-16-2008, 11:15 PM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

After drinking a beer from my friends laser etched beer glass, I didn't want to look back. I could visually see how much more carbonation was being released in his laser etched (inside, at the base) beer glass vs. just any regular mug.
      Never heard of the etched glass, myself (but I am a hermit, however.) Regarding this, though - I thought we were supposed to try to eliminate such "surface defects" on the glass... I'm not too particular; just curious.

Personally, my glass collection consists of whatever I could sneak out of the venue in the back of my open-backed amp (in my younger days...)

I would think that for the types of beer you prefer, the standard "beer glass" would be just fine.

Comment

Unfortunately, these etched glasses will change the carbonation in the beer. As difficult as it can be to balance your dispensing system, why would you want the glassware to hinder this?
        Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

I prefer heavy glass beer mugs. I don't like pilsner glasses and regular pint glasses are fine also. Never heard of laser etched. My senses or palate are not refined enough so I don't know if there is a big difference between glasses and types of beers.
          "No soldier can fight unless he is properly fed on beef and beer."
          -John Churchill, First Duke of Marlborough

Comment

Pint glass

tulip glass for stout, pint glass for all else.

why mess with perfection?

Comment

I received a set of the Sam Adams laser etched glasses for Christmas last year. While they are very pretty, I don't taste a difference in the beer itself. They are also much thinner than normal pint glasses and due to the shape of the glass, can not be stacked like a pint glass. For the money, stick with the pint glasses.

Comment

I am still trying to find out what these lazer etched glasses are. I tried to google them but all i found was names and designes on the out side. Guess I dont need what I cant find.
                ....ONE KEG OF BEER FOR THE FOUR OF US......FOR ONE OF US COULD DRINK IT ALL ALONE.

Comment

I use any one of my collection of pint glasses from various places/events like mountain bike races & bars (both purchased and "acquired" glassware (shh!!), but more of the former than the latter which was mostly in my college years). I have about 30 leftover pint glasses from my wedding last year, gave them away as "souvenirs" for the guests, which was well received.

And then there's the good old red solo cup. I keep a stack on top of the kegerator for those times when I'm outside (kegerator in garage) and grabbing some refreshment while doing yard work or whatever.
                  "Live every week like a shark week."

Comment

Last week I disagreed with a man about etches on the bottom of a beer glass. He said they made a big difference and I said no. He said that they better scatter the bubbles giving you a better aroma. But I've always thought that the shape of the glass has more to do with that and that scratches were bad because particulates can get into the scratches and a well-executed beer should have a nice front without the need of etches on the base. And I am attaching a pure clean picture of a nice looking Ocean Munich beer mug.
                    P00843-MUNICH-Beer-Mug.jpg
                    Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 04-23-2020, 05:53 PM. Reason: Removed link

Comment

Etching can impact carbonation of beer where it can be deemed flat. Drink fast! Hopefully beer would already have aroma regardless of etching. They would be difficult to clean unless glass washer had significant mechanical action.
                      Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Here is my go-to collection (sans the usual pint glasses). i pick based on the mood I'm in and how much I want to drink

IMG_4015 (1).jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X