Bad Keg?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Keg?????

Is it possible to get a flat/bad keg??? I bought a keg of Rolling Rock and Penn Pilsner Octoberfest on Wed. I let it settle until this AM and tapped them both so they would be ready for later. I flipped the tap to let the air out and to push beer through the lines b/c I just cleaned them on Tuesday. Rolling Rock was at good carb levels and poured well, but my October fest was flat. Minimal to no carbonation at all with a slow pour. Now, my liquid temp is usually b/n 36 and 38, but b/c I had the door open briefly to hook lines up again the beer measured about 41. This shouldn't make it appear flat!!

I got home this evening and same thing. Ofest is flat. My psi for both is at 14 and I just filled my tank with these 2 kegs being the first on the new tank. No obvious signs of leaks and I even untapped and retapped. Could I have done something when I put all parts back together after cleaning?? All washers and parts are back as they were! I am positive! Could I have over tightened anything??

Any suggestions?!?!?!?!?!?

P.S. My system has been balanced. This is not my first keg............
    Last edited by SteelersBar; 09-05-2008, 05:09 PM.
    HOME OF THE 6 TIME WORLD CHAMPION PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Are you defining carbonation by lack of head and or bubbles or does it taste flat? It is possible to get a bad keg. What is the date on the keg? This isn't a seasonal from last season is it?
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Thanks for the reply!! I actually went and returned it.....I thought it tasted flat....it didn't pour with any head and minimal bubbles. There is a very slight bubbling or foam (if you want to call it foam..but not in the normal sense) on top and it pours much slower (but steady) than the rest of my beers with a 5 foot line. It actually pours as though a extended my line to decrease the flow.

So...I just got back and tapped the new one....short trip to the distrib. so I tapped it right away. Same results....granted the keg temp is about 44-46 right now, but it is the same way......this leads me to believe that this beer is supposed to taste this way.........I have no other explanation......

P.S. Not a seasonal from last year....Octoberfest from Penn Pilsner which is made right in Pittsburgh where I live.....

Comment

SteelersBar..

I just was at Penn Brewery last weekend for lunch and had the Octoberfest. I am in agreement with you. I thought the beer tasted flat as did my wife. I had this same beer last year and it was not this way at all. Granted, the recipe changes from year to year so it is hard to judge. But coming directly from the brewery, you would think this would be well carbonated and you can't get any fresher.

This may have been a bad batch that they are selling to the public, if so that is bad QC.

Comment

While I'm not a fan of the practice, you could force carbonate the keg. Either that or take it back for a refund.
          Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
          but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Originally posted by Hennepin View Post
            SteelersBar..

I just was at Penn Brewery last weekend for lunch and had the Octoberfest. I am in agreement with you. I thought the beer tasted flat as did my wife. I had this same beer last year and it was not this way at all. Granted, the recipe changes from year to year so it is hard to judge. But coming directly from the brewery, you would think this would be well carbonated and you can't get any fresher.

This may have been a bad batch that they are selling to the public, if so that is bad QC.
            While your statement makes me feel better and that it is not my psychoticness, I am VERY disappointed.....I agree that it is bad QC. I am a big fan of Penn Pilsner and I have never tasted a beer that seemed flat like this and still be very fresh........2 separate kegs (first one returned and the second on tap now) and same result........

My first R.R. keg by the way and it tastes pretty darn good!

Comment

Why not call Penn Brewery and ask them? There are beers out there that are made without or low carbonation.

Comment

This beer may have a low carbonation by design. Ask the brewer what the target carbonation level, in volumes, should be.
                Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Zuhse View Post
                  This beer may have a low carbonation by design. Ask the brewer what the target carbonation level, in volumes, should be.
                  I was told 2.65 by the brewery.......

I also had a bottle of it this past weekend and I have to say that it was not much more carbonated, so maybe it is a bad batch or it truly is supposed to be that way.....

Comment

***update***

Well, after a week or two at 14 Psi, the appeared "flat" taste is almost gone and there are more carbonation bubbles present as well as the appearance of some head. I know that it is not OVER carbonated, but now I wonder if it is more carbonation than the brewer intended. Either way, I like the way it tastes now as opposed to when I first tapped the keg!

Comment

Working...
                    X