Recharging system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recharging system

I have a Bev Air that apparently has a slow leak in the system. A year ago I had it serviced by a pro, but would like to learn to do it myself. I've recharged a few automotive systems so I'm not a complete novice, but I do have a few questions. My manifold gauge set has automotive R134a quick connect fittings. My unit has considerably smaller screw type fittings brazed on. Is it normal in the industry to use a universal size/style fitting on appliances since most people don't DIY? Would these by chance be the same size as automotive R12 fittings? If so I'm thinking I could use the fittings in an automotive R12 to R134a kit for the interface. I realize that the system is small in comparison to automotive systems and that the amount of charge is critical. Since I have no way of metering out this small charge accurately, could I still use the high side pressure readings to gauge the amount of charge using the formula of 2.2-2.5 x ambient air temp? Thanks in advance for any and all advice

Originally posted by bard View Post
    I have a Bev Air that apparently has a slow leak in the system. A year ago I had it serviced by a pro, but would like to learn to do it myself. I've recharged a few automotive systems so I'm not a complete novice, but I do have a few questions. My manifold gauge set has automotive R134a quick connect fittings. My unit has considerably smaller screw type fittings brazed on. Is it normal in the industry to use a universal size/style fitting on appliances since most people don't DIY? Would these by chance be the same size as automotive R12 fittings? If so I'm thinking I could use the fittings in an automotive R12 to R134a kit for the interface.
    Autos are unique as far as the refrigeration world goes with the Q/C fittings. The standard in the rest of the refrigeration world is the 1/4" shrader valve fittings & the R12 gauges will work just fine.
    Originally posted by bard
    I realize that the system is small in comparison to automotive systems and that the amount of charge is critical. Since I have no way of metering out this small charge accurately, could I still use the high side pressure readings to gauge the amount of charge using the formula of 2.2-2.5 x ambient air temp? Thanks in advance for any and all advice
    I'll finish the rest of the answer on the PM. (its a secret)
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
    X