want o make my kegerator colder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want o make my kegerator colder

hey guys, i have frigidaire beverage center #PLKU1267D and for some reason, i dont think its getting cold enough. i turned the screw in the back all the way clockwise but i still want it colder. is there anyway to make it colder? thanks for all the responses. by the way, you can see my model at kegworks.com..

Mike Reiner
    mrtd8@umkc.edu

Check out the owners manual for info. What is your temperature now and where do you want to go?

Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

checked out the manual, it just says to turn the screw all the way clockwise to make it the coldest. not too sure the temp, im gonna do that today, but it just seems to not be cold enough.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by "seems"[?]

Comment

42 degrees inside. How can a person lower it to mid 30's?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by diet069

turn that t'stat down guy, works for moi[]

"If I had to live my life over, I'd live over a saloon"
            From the land of pleasant living, the Chesapeake bay
            and hot steamed crabs!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by topgun3208

quote:Originally posted by diet069

turn that t'stat down guy, works for moi[]

"If I had to live my life over, I'd live over a saloon"
              Why didn't I think of that? Oh, wait. I did think of that. Didn't work and the thermostat won't go any lower. []

Any OTHER ideas?

Comment

I have this same unit and same issue. We need a mod to fix this somehow and make it colder. I am experiencing same temp, 41 to 42 degrees. I need it colder somehow and the screw is pegged at the coldest setting. Any help guys?

Comment

Originally posted by hairbalz View Post
                  I have this same unit and same issue. We need a mod to fix this somehow and make it colder. I am experiencing same temp, 41 to 42 degrees. I need it colder somehow and the screw is pegged at the coldest setting. Any help guys?
                  Check & see where the temperature control is sensing the temperature. Is it sensing the air temperature or the temp of the evaporator?

What I'm getting at is you might be able to move the sensor to a warmer portion of the box like farther away from the evaporator. If it is on the evaporator there is not much you can do. If it is air sensing it might take some experimentation to get it where you want it.
                  My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
                  "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
                  -Dave Barry-
                  "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
                  Strong beer is the milk of the old."
                  -Martin Luther-

Comment

I have the same unit and the exact same problem. I have looked for thermostat mods but have not been able to come up with anything. I've moved the probe as far as I can away from the evaporator. I'm wondering if I plug the unit into a Johnson Controls External thermostat would this override the thermostat and have the compressor run longer?

Comment

can any of you owners point me to the sensor location? Also here is the link to the wiring diagram.
                      http://ftp.electrolux-na.com/PDFnotF...el=PLKU1267DS0
                      It's pretty non informative. Any ideas on where to connect an external controller as jtc suggests?

Perhaps through another resistor in the line somewhere as the Danby mod suggests?
                      Another thing I'm concerned with on this unit is the temperature swing. Anyway to make the compressor kick on earlier, or shorten the temp range to get tighter control. Keep it between 37 and 39 instead of 38 and 44. Am I stating that clearly? It may even be swinging more than that.
                      Last edited by hairbalz; 01-27-2008, 07:27 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by hairbalz View Post
                        can any of you owners point me to the sensor location? Also here is the link to the wiring diagram.
                        http://ftp.electrolux-na.com/PDFnotF...el=PLKU1267DS0
                        It's pretty non informative. Any ideas on where to connect an external controller as jtc suggests?
                        A temperature control is simply an on/off switch. It makes or breaks one leg of the power to the compressor. You can replace the current control with this Johnson Temperature Controller. It looks like all would need to do is plug your unit into this control & place the sensing bulb. You would need to take the wires on your current control & wire them together to eliminate the old control.

Originally posted by hairbalz
                        Perhaps through another resistor in the line somewhere as the Danby mod suggests?
                        Another thing I'm concerned with on this unit is the temperature swing. Anyway to make the compressor kick on earlier, or shorten the temp range to get tighter control. Keep it between 37 and 39 instead of 38 and 44. Am I stating that clearly? It may even be swinging more than that.
                        The better controls are adjustable for temperature differential, usually somewhere between 3 to 8 degrees or so.
                        My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
                        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
                        -Dave Barry-
                        "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
                        Strong beer is the milk of the old."
                        -Martin Luther-

Comment

Some Thermo's you can take the panel box off at the knob.. sometimes there is a set screw you can remove and turn your setting lower. I do not know about your model?

Comment

Solution Found

So I was to the point of replacing the temp sensor and control for this fridge. I took the control plate off and began to remove the part with the dial. The face plate was covering up another screw and the word "Colder" along with an arrow stamped into the control unit. The arrow is pointing counter clockwise. I turned this new screw counter clockwise two rotations and then plugged the fridge back in, with the "Main" control knob still set all the way to the right [clockwise]. The fridge temp got down to 20 deg F. So I adjusted the hidden screw about a half turn clockwise [warmer] and measured again. 37 deg F average temp. The unit comes on at about 41 and turns off at 34. Problem solved.

Comment

I just got the Frigidaire FRTB7B4EMB2 Beverage Center and am having similiar issues. Temp only gets to about 40 degrees. Has anyone found a set screw or other mod to get a few degrees colder?

Comment

Working...
                              X