Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beverage Air not cooling....worth repairing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beverage Air not cooling....worth repairing?

Hi, I was thinking of picking up a Beverage Air BM-23 off our local craigslist.
    The seller says the unit runs, but won't cool.
    My question is, do you know what typically the problem is, and if it might be worthwhile to fix. Also how much it might cost to repair.
    Thanks in advance!

Hey there, check out the thread right below this one, "BeverageAir BM23/Newcastle temp & foam issues". I had a similar issue, and we talked through a lot of stuff to figure it out...

Comment

Originally posted by shamrock View Post
      Hi, I was thinking of picking up a Beverage Air BM-23 off our local craigslist.
      The seller says the unit runs, but won't cool.
      My question is, do you know what typically the problem is, and if it might be worthwhile to fix. Also how much it might cost to repair.
      Thanks in advance!
      Stay away from it. Look for something else.

My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

You don't think it's worth troubleshooting, even for $120?
        It seems like a nice kegerator...wonder how much expense and hassle to get it working properly.
        Thanks.

Comment

It can very easily cost $120 just to have someone look at it. If it turns out to be a bad compressor it can cost upwards of $600 to $800 to get it replaced. If it is simply a leak in the system it can be $200 to $300 before it is up & running. Personally I would put that money towards a unit that works.

EDIT: I might be tempted to pick it up only because I work on those things & could fix it at my cost, a lot less than if you call in a service company.

Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 08-21-2008, 10:43 PM.
          My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
          "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
          -Dave Barry-
          "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
          Strong beer is the milk of the old."
          -Martin Luther-

Comment

You can usually pick up a used fridge for $0-50, then get a kit for under $200 to convert it, and have a working unit. I spent about $40 on a truck to move my fridge, $173 shipped on the kit from ********.com, and about $50 on assorted paint and materials to customize my kegerator. ~$263 and it's all set up, and I have a working fridge that blows nice and cold (set at 34-36 degrees according to my thermometer).

I wouldn't go with a broken unit... it could be a huge PITA to get running. This is coming from a guy who spent several hours a day for about TWO WEEKS trying to get his friend's car running to make $300, but there were all sorts of electrical problems... and even along with another friend who is a C-130J mechanic in the Air Force we couldn't figure it out... get something that works off the bat!
            "For Barack Obama to argue that he's experienced enough to be president because he's running for president is desperate circular logic and it's laughable."

Comment

If you are handy I would say go for it.

I got my Perlick for free and just had to put an evaporator fan motor and thermostat in it.

I've probably spent $300 on it but that is with those two parts, a new door gasket, MM stainless coupler, MM stainless shank, MM stainless beer nipple for the coupler, MM beer and gas hose, MM premium regulator and gauge cage, and a ventmatic forward seal faucet.

Not saying you will be that lucky but it is worth a shot.
              Last edited by Kpt42; 08-22-2008, 07:51 PM.

Comment

You might want to find out how old the unit is before going foward.If its old and needs to be recharged it could get expensive depending on what gas it uses
                What I got:
                Beverage Air #BM23
                with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
                -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
                -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
                -MM S/S Keg Couplers
                YouTube video of the goods

Comment

I picked this unit up today, haven't gotten into it, but I thought for the 20lb CO2 and gages it was well worth the try. Wiring on the back looks "cobbled together" so it may be something fairly simple, for the price, it's worth putting a few bucks into it to see

Comment

Ypsibeerguy...
                    THANKS FOR STEALING THIS OUT FROM UNDER ME!!!!!!!!!!!
                    NICE GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    SO GLAD I POSTED ON HERE, SO YOU COULD GO RIGHT OUT AND SNATCH IT UP BEFORE I COULD GET OUT THERE!
                    Hope you have fun with it, pal!

Comment

Sorry, saw it on CL friday and picked it up Sat, never even saw your post here until after I had it "on hold"

You asked for feedback here instead of just jumping on it, don't be "sore" at me.

Comment

Yeah, "just happened" to see it first out of the blue, and THEN just happened to read the post here AFTER.
                        Yeah, that's real believable.
                        Whatever.....
                        I hope it needs a new compressor.
                        Have fun.

Comment

I've been checking craigslist daily for "kegerator" "beer" and "brew" for the last couple weeks or so, so yes, "out of the blue" It will need work, how much, who knows, I jumped on it and assume the risk to fix it. Sorry your so upset about it. Don't want to beleive me, well that's up to you.

Comment

keep us posted

Hey Beer Guy let us know what comes out of this thing and if it will work or not. I'm rooting for you and this cooler!!
                            ....ONE KEG OF BEER FOR THE FOUR OF US......FOR ONE OF US COULD DRINK IT ALL ALONE.

Comment

Bumping this out of curiosity as to if the kegerator was ever repaired.
                              "Stay thirsty my friends"
                              - The most interesting man in the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X