Ball-valve Tap won't move!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball-valve Tap won't move!!

I have a 1/2 barrel kegerator w/ 5 lb CO2 cylinder. The tap worked one day (would open/close normally) then the next time I tried (albeit a week later), it wouldn't budge. Brut force did nothing. It's a standard ball-valve lever and I can't figure out why it is stuck.

Anyone seen this before?

Beer is like glue once it dries. Dribble warm water over the faucet and hopefully you will soften this beer glue and be able to open the faucet.
    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Sorry to perform a threasurrection, but I get the same issue. I have two faucets and only use one regularly. The other is a corny with an ale I drink every once in a while... Is there a faucet that will not get all gunked up? I have a standard faucet on it now.

Comment

Sorry Rev. Po-Jay, but what you're looking for would indeed take a divine intervention. You mention a Corney Keg so I'm assuming this keg contains a homebrew and can totally understand how it locks up tight. Homebrew requires more cleaning than your normal commercial kegs and if it's been sitting for a week your best bet would be to remove it from the kegerator, disassemble it, soak it in BLC (or other type cleaner), and then scrub it with a faucet brush. Then you should be able to put it back together and work normal.

All couplers, lines, and faucets need to be cleaned regularly. Like Scott said, dried beer is like glue.
        Last edited by whutever; 09-22-2008, 07:11 PM.
        Beer - the 5th food group!

Comment

Actually there is a faucet that doesn't stick. Used to be made by Ventmatic. I have two, and no matter how long you go between pours, they don't stick because they are forward seal. Also they only drip 1-2 drops after shutting off. There is a version made by Perlick now. Not sure if the original VentMatic one is still available. I know that they were having legal problems and it was rumored that they were going under. It was also marketed under the Shirron name. Note that I'm not advocating skipping regular cleaning of lines and components, that should be done every two weeks regardless.

Note to MM: You guys should really look into carrying the VentMatic or Perlick version of this faucet. It is awesome for home use where there is often a time period of hours or days between pours for some users. They just absolutely do not stick.

Comment

Divine intervention it is. Thanks for the info woodieb! I'm curious as to how it holds up with homebrew though. You're a homebrewer, can it be left for week(s) at a time and still not stick when pouring homebrews?
            Last edited by whutever; 09-22-2008, 07:25 PM.
            Beer - the 5th food group!

Comment

Actually, until my current setup (which still has yet to be inaugurated) I've never had anything BUT homebrew on tap. That's where I know the Ventmatics from. I don't think they are still in business, and I've seen some discussions where it was opined that the Perlick model isn't quite as good as the original. You could try Ebay and see if you can find some original Ventmatics, or try the Perlick version. But anyway, even with the fullest bodied homebrews, my Ventmatics never stick.

Update: Just did a quick Ebay search and couldn't find any Ventmatics, but there are Perlicks available.

And apologies to MM, I bought my entire glycol cooled draft system here, but the forward seal Ventmatics are the best faucet I've every used, and are now on my tower.

Comment

I think I recall that Micro Matic used to carry the forward sealing faucets. I've run some very malty home brewed ales through mine with no sticking whatsoever. They are a nice looking faucet as well.
                Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Ventmatic/Shirron/Perlick story

After the previous posts, and having a mild panic attack at the thought of something happening to one of my beloved Ventmatics and not having a backup, I embarked on an extensive search to purchase backups. Sad to say, there just doesn't seem to be any available right now. Ebay, grimy back alleys, Khyber Pass smuggling routes, all were searched to to no avail.

The original Ventmatic Ultraflow was produced in Wisconsin, I believe. The patent was licensed to Perlick, who did and still does produce a version, but from many accounts, although still superior to conventional rear seal faucets in regard to sticking and dripping, are not up to the original tolerance and material wise. There were some sort of problems at the original company, and Shirron licensed the right to produce the product under the Ventmatic name from the receivership. However, more legal wrangling has ensued, and from what I can glean, Shirron no longer has the right to make the faucet. The original patent holder has the rights, but is not currently producing the product nor planning to license the patent. Note that the above is from information that **** Cheney himself conveyed to me directly, and of course must be absolute truth The end result is, the Ventmatic and Shirron version of these babies now sell for more than blonde Afghan hashish when you can find them used, which is seldom.

Seriously, anyone who has had one of these will tell you that they are great. No sticking, no dripping. All stainless steel inside & out. As for the tiny amount of beer inside the faucet becoming warm & foaming, I have just not found that to be an issue. The volume must be about a 1/4 ounce or so. Anyway, there was a rumor that Saddam Hussein had a stash of a few hundred in a bunker somewhere near the Iranian border, so I'm hoping those will be uncovered someday. Until then I'll have to lock mine in a Smithsonian, Hope Diamond style display case to safeguard them

Comment

Clean Clean Clean !

If you are not going to draw a beer for a week or so, In my opinion you should disconet lines and faucet and clean.

When your faucet finaly works you might notice brown specks floating in your glass. The only way I know this is, my first tapper, I didn't drink so much then, would have these little brown specks floating in my beer after sitting for awhile. It is my understanding it is dryed beer.

I don't have that problem any longer

Comment

Originally posted by woodieb View Post
                      After the previous posts, and having a mild panic attack at the thought of something happening to one of my beloved Ventmatics and not having a backup, I embarked on an extensive search to purchase backups. Sad to say, there just doesn't seem to be any available right now. Ebay, grimy back alleys, Khyber Pass smuggling routes, all were searched to to no avail.

The original Ventmatic Ultraflow was produced in Wisconsin, I believe. The patent was licensed to Perlick, who did and still does produce a version, but from many accounts, although still superior to conventional rear seal faucets in regard to sticking and dripping, are not up to the original tolerance and material wise. There were some sort of problems at the original company, and Shirron licensed the right to produce the product under the Ventmatic name from the receivership. However, more legal wrangling has ensued, and from what I can glean, Shirron no longer has the right to make the faucet. The original patent holder has the rights, but is not currently producing the product nor planning to license the patent. Note that the above is from information that **** Cheney himself conveyed to me directly, and of course must be absolute truth The end result is, the Ventmatic and Shirron version of these babies now sell for more than blonde Afghan hashish when you can find them used, which is seldom.

Seriously, anyone who has had one of these will tell you that they are great. No sticking, no dripping. All stainless steel inside & out. As for the tiny amount of beer inside the faucet becoming warm & foaming, I have just not found that to be an issue. The volume must be about a 1/4 ounce or so. Anyway, there was a rumor that Saddam Hussein had a stash of a few hundred in a bunker somewhere near the Iranian border, so I'm hoping those will be uncovered someday. Until then I'll have to lock mine in a Smithsonian, Hope Diamond style display case to safeguard them
                      That is "Richard Cheney" to you!
                      Thanks for the input (everyone). I ordered 2 Perlick faucets and hope to report back with great news. I found them for a pretty good deal (~35 each). I too looked and looked to no avail for the Elusive and Mysterious Ventmatic, with no luck. Such as the Dodo, they seem to have disappeared from our sight.

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                      X